DOSAAF Yak-52 completed!

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

Re: DOSAAF Yak-52 completed!

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi Ross

I've met Paul a couple of times at past aerobatic comp's. He once tore strips off me after I'd flown like a P.O.S in one sequence saying I was wasting his time as a judge - thanks Paul! In all honesty he was absolutely right, as I just didn't have the time to put into proper practice prior to the comp, so I was really wasting my own time and money. :oops: Competition aerobatics - spending a lot of money to be told you are a shit pilot! :D

A few good stories about Paul I will not go into here. He is a very talented professional aerobatic pilot - certainly one of the best in our region. He's done some very hairy stuff over the years including ultra low inverted ribbon cuts - lower than some US pilots. I honestly worry about this sort of stuff. Not for a second questioning his ability to do it as he is a superb aerobatic pilot and has been the Australian Aerobatic champion in the past. Even the legendary Chris Sperou once did a inverted landing/crash in his Pitts once when doing a super low inverted ribbon cut. Apparently a small bolt/fastener flew from the floor right in front of him at the wrong moment when he was inverted and super low and he moved the stick a fraction as a reaction to this - enough for the Pitts's top wing to hit the ground. Amazingly, the Pitts didn't roll into a ball and explode - just kept running along the ground on the top wing. Chris no doubt had the stick a fair way forward at the time.

So, that's my opinion of Paul - brilliant and very talented pilot with skills and experience beyond my comprehension, but he does some stuff that scares the you know what out of me! Really great to hear he supports and encourages young people up your way.

His current ride seen at Avalon this year.

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Previous

Return to Member's Completed Models