1/72 Zlin 242

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

1/72 Zlin 242

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:24 pm

This is the tiny AZ Models offering and not easy to build (for me anyway). This was a must build none the less as I have had a lot of fun in the past in the real aeroplane. The 242 is the AEIO-360 Lycoming powered version of the Zlin-142, the 142 being a little strange in that it had slightly forward swept wings. The 242 is similar in size and performance to the CT-4A and was designed for the same role. The 242 has some quirky features such as in a spin, the elevator over balances and the stick "locks in" back and to the right, requiring a good 10Ib's of force to push forward - and just forward of neutral. Too far forward and you go into a inverted spin.
The 242 was designed for students to go from it into a jet trainer like the L-39, so it was designed with "jet trainer-like" handling. The wing tips generate nice big vortices and it's a pretty draggy aeroplane requiring a bit of power down final. Pull the power off and you get a lot of sink. It has a wonderfully powerful and light elevator requiring just fingertip control via a huge stick (looks like a tractor part - Zlin's owner Morovan builds tractors).

So, the Zlin-242 looks a bit like a tame Piper and yet it's nothing like a Piper - vastly different! Like the Zlin-50, the wing has a life. There is nitrogen pumped in the wing spar, that is plumed to a pressure gauge in the cockpit. The idea being that if pressure is lost, there is a big problem with the wing - nice feature!

The Zlin-242'S wing is pretty thick, but the kits wing is way too thick. All in all, it was a fun little build - more a challenge to see if I could still build anything this tiny! I did add some detail to the cockpit, split the elevator, added the landing light and exhausts.

Adam the Akrodude

Re: 1/72 Zlin 242

Postby Capt NG » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Again mate, top job. :)
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Re: 1/72 Zlin 242

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:49 pm

Great job mate :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Return to Member's Completed Models