Well bugger me I finished one!

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

Well bugger me I finished one!

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I give you [drumroll]
The first entry into next year's A/CAM display......
Lindberg's 1/32 Laird Turner Meteor!
(Tumultuous applause..)

So she's got a few - quite a few - flaws, but I wanted to *finish* something, and not get bogged down in the detail. The kit is pretty average, the builder's skill more average, but she's done.
There were a number of issues with the kit. It has a *very* simplistic cockpit, which is nothing like the original, and my copy had the base of the pilot's seat cut out for some reason, so I replaced it with a bit of platic card. There's a huge gap in the front section, where the top of the cockpit "meets" the...well, whatever that part is..., and everything is overscale and quite unrealistic.
I painted the metal surfaces with Tamiya AS-12 out of the can, and the fabric surfaces with a mixture of flat aluminium, clear gloss, and a couple of drops of white. There's a very, very subtle difference in the two shades - not quite what I wanted, but it'll do. I also stuffed two of the decals, but a quick re-print on my inkjet saw them done. The main canopy is too small, and so it left a gap on one side when I fitted it. And the control surfaces are separate and supposed to be moveable....I put paid to that!
If I ever built another, I'd take the time to fix the issues, I think. But I doubt very much that'll happen..

Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Re: Well bugger me I finished one!

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:15 pm

Looks great old boy. Great to see ya finish something finally. It'll look great on the ACAM table next year mate. What with you and Adam finally finishing a model, I guess that just leaves Ray to pull his finger out 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:53 am

Most excellent Capn -well done and bravo! Do all the control surfaces come separate, or did you do a little surgery to achieve this? The not filling gaps looks kinda cool in any case. Gap filling can be a little OTT at times and make the model look less realistic and toy like in my opinion. Often as we know there can be decent sized gaps where there needs to be, or just because they are there, as are the odd dint and scratch and scrape. Now, please go down to Toyworld and buy a Schleich lion to represent Gilmore to go with your Meteor.

Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:36 am

hrtpaul wrote: I guess that just leaves Ray to pull his finger out 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

:oops: :oops:
Does currently having two different 707 Tankers on the model desk, (as opposed to the curtain-rail-of-doom), count for anything.
The 1:144 A-4 Skyhawk "receiver" turned up yesterday, (nice but small :? !!!!!. That's what she said :lol: :lol: .....thought I would get in before anyone else did).
TOR
tor lives

Postby tor lives » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:38 am

Damo, lovely job mate, and she will indeed take pride-of-place in our A/CAM display next year.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Graeme H » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:44 am

Good one Damien, great feeling isn't it to finally finish something
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby DesTROYer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:02 pm

Nicely done.
DesTROYer

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:10 pm

@ Paul....never happen mate! lol
@ Adam...the control surfaces were separate pieces, with pins at both ends so they moved. Of course, I didn't put them in until the end, so I had to cut the pins off..
@ Ray, Graeme and Troy...thanks gents. It sure do feel good :)
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby F-27pax » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:26 pm

That looks very nice. Some of those racers had all the right lines and this one looks fine. I liked the finish you got too.

Leigh
F-27pax

Postby RayS » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:48 am

Very nice, got me now thinking about a scheme for my What If candidate for next year's display
Ray

RayS

Next

Return to Member's Completed Models