Masterkit 757

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

Masterkit 757

Postby kfutter » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Just finished this one. The kit was a gift from Eric Galliers (luckily he likes me, or he might have given me two of them). It's inaccurate, under-scale, poorly detailed, and basically an all-round horrible kit. It also sports some of the thickest plastic I've seen on a model kit - 3mm+ in places! I just slapped it together and used the kit decals, ironically quite nicely done by Microscale (even if the fuselage cheat decals are too short). I built it wheels-up and put it on a token stand and base:

It really wasn't worth taking more than 2 photos of!

Kev
kfutter

Re: Masterkit 757

Postby Graeme H » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:05 am

That might have been a pig to build, but turned out nice, even looks like a 757
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby kfutter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks, Graeme!

Kev
kfutter

Postby RayS » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:45 am

Nice build Kev, looks fine from north of the border
Ray

RayS

Postby kfutter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:06 am

Thanks, Ray. Apart from the work involved in actually getting it together and ready for paint, I have to say that I didn't put a lot of effort into this one. The wings, tailplanes and engines were all pinned with brass rod, and I chose to put it on a stand because the landing gear was just a collection of irredeemable plastic blobs. I didn't even bother to fair the engine pylons in, as it meant more work and delays than I wanted. Apart from the primer, I actually got all the paint on in a single afternoon! It looks OK as a shelf-sitter/decal carrier.

I do have both the Minicraft and Welsh 757 kits in the stash, so they'll make interesting comparisons when the time comes.

Kev
Last edited by kfutter on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kfutter

Postby Graeme H » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:50 am

kfutter wrote:I do have both the Minicraft and Welsh 757 kits in the stash, so they'll make interesting comparisons when the time comes.

Kev

hmmm, Minicraft 757, probably more work than that Masterkit, better off selling it, I could tell you some of the problems, but you would fall asleep reading them
Welsh not bad, and legend has it the Masterkit was cloned from the inside of the Welsh kit, which is why it's underscale.
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:13 am

Nice one there Kev! What white did you use - white primer with a gloss finish? Rattle can or airbrush?
Adam the Akrodude

Postby kfutter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:16 am

Graeme H wrote:
kfutter wrote:I do have both the Minicraft and Welsh 757 kits in the stash, so they'll make interesting comparisons when the time comes.

Kev

hmmm, Minicraft 757, probably more work than that Masterkit, better off selling it, I could tell you some of the problems, but you would fall asleep reading them
Welsh not bad, and legend has it the Masterkit was cloned from the inside of the Welsh kit, which is why it's underscale.

Actually, I would be interested in that list, Graeme! My basic modelling philosophy is no kit left behind, so I have every intention of building both the Minicraft and Welsh kits (the latter supplied to me by Derek Bradshaw, whom I believe did the masters). Besides, I have Iron Maiden decals designed to fit the Minicraft kit, and I don't want them to go to waste!

Kev
kfutter

Postby kfutter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:19 am

Adam the Akrodude wrote:Nice one there Kev! What white did you use - white primer with a gloss finish? Rattle can or airbrush?

Thanks, Adam - and Merry Christmas to you, buddy! The white is indeed Tamiya Fine White Surface Primer, straight out of the rattle can, with a couple of coats of Tamiya Clear Gloss (X-22) over the top after decals. I did all the paint work on this one in a single afternoon! And to add to the cheating, the grey on the lower surfaces is Tamiya Fine Surface Primer. Accurate? Probably not, but I for one don't care!

Kev
kfutter

Return to Member's Completed Models