License Built Lockheed Super Stretch Caravelle -Braniff-

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

License Built Lockheed Super Stretch Caravelle -Braniff-

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:30 am

I bought a couple of the Mistercraft Caravelle kits and decided that since they would need a bunch of work to make them "accurate" for a real world build that I would just take both kits, cut them up, and smash them together. I had a decal problem at one point so had to change the entire paint scheme and whatever back story I had. Since I had to use other than original windows, I decided this would be an American license built Lockheed machine to serve as a quick replacement and advancement into the jet age after the Electra II accidents.

Anyway... I added a fuselage plug to extend it as much as I could and added two engines. Windows are old Micro Scale stuff from American carriers sheet. Decals are from a sheet newly arrived from Rob (didn't take me long to start using the stuff, eh? :lol: ). Paint is mainly rattle can but the finish isn't that great.. like I said, I had to change things.. it was initially going to be all NMF but when the original deals went tits up, I had to improvise. Windscreen area was a bit problematic and didn't turn out too well but it passes muster as far as I'm concerned. It'll be nice addition to the shelf I suppose.

Last edited by TheChronicOne on Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Re: License Built Lockheed Super Stretch Caravelle -Braniff

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:29 am

Very very nice.

TheChronicOne wrote:Decals are from a sheet newly arrived from Rob (didn't take me long to start using the stuff, eh? :lol: ).

Wow! You do work quick! Great to see that sheet came in handy and here was Me thinking you'd put it on a 727 or whiff 737 but no you've even surprised us more with a Froggy Yank stretched quad engined VC-10 / Super VC-10 competitor! (I'll have to be very inventive with what I send next!)
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:34 am

TheChronicOne wrote:... , I had to improvise. Windscreen area was a bit problematic and didn't turn out too well but it passes muster as far as I'm concerned.

Actually it's pretty good as it looks very Lockheed like and certainly no trace of DeHavilland (as I seem to remember the cockpit area of the Caravelle was borrowed from the Comet?) heritage.
Ansett A330

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:24 pm

That's cool as mate. Well done :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm

very nice, love the concept and execution!
Ray

RayS

Postby TheChronicOne » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks everyone!! I had a lot of fun building it. I did some new things that I hadn't yet attempted like the fuselage cutting and extension... could be easy for things to go crooked. Also, making the double engines was a bit weird but I managed it with... I think Tamiya putty it was. :D Learned some good stuff for future kit-bashing.

Yeah, Comet nose.... about that; I know it was on at least three aircraft... the Comet itself, the Caravelle of course, then one other I've already forgotten about. That thing got around... :lol: No matter, it's a very nice looking front end. I wish I could remember what that third one was.. I stumbled upon it not too long ago. And, indeed, I wonder if there were more than three?

EDIT: OH yeah, sidenote... the frame pattern for the windscreen was copied from an F-28. I think I forgot to mention that.. .so... .the outline remains the same but the frame work is different. haaaa! Fun stuff...
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Return to Member's Completed Models