Air France Concorde

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

Air France Concorde

Postby RayS » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Here is another early airliner completion, oh did I forget to mention it was in Pepsi colours?

Airfix 1/144 kit OOB with decals from Airline Modeller magazine when it was still going.

Ray

RayS

Re: Air France Concorde

Postby tor lives » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Is there anything more sexy than a Concorde!!!...the perfect combination of form and function.
Nice Job Ray, she looks a treat in those colours.
Ray
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Now who doesn't love a Concorde? Great job there Ray :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:31 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! Some years ago just after Concorde was retired, a mate invited me to a local Aviation Historical Society meeting and the guest speaker was a ex-RAAF test pilot. His topic was aviation, past, present and future from a test pilots perspective. His talk started on a pretty glum note with pictures of a Air France Concorde in pieces on a barge being floated down the Rhine on its way to a museum. Here was an aeroplane he said only half way through it's life, with another 20 years of engine and airframe hours potentially with no aeroplane in test or production to meet it's performance. Sadly, as we know, no one wanted to fly Concorde any more after that horrific crash in Paris - even after many millions had been spent on Kevlar lined fuel tanks, new tyres, new interior, etc, etc.
I guess, as a test pilot he was somewhat saddened that the glory days of test flying are behind us, he then thought. I'm guessing he was a bit of a Concorde fan as well! That confounded drag goes up at the square of speed making going fast really expensive and there is no getting around that until we've the technology to go real fast, real high.
This is not too far away, with the SR-72 not far off. Commercial spin offs are a possibility, but this would be much farther off - possibly 50 years I'm thinking. Perhaps the next generation of A/CAM'ers will be building civvy versions of something along the lines of the SR-72!

http://www.lockheedmartin.com.au/us/new ... sr-72.html
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Knotty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:13 am

Very nice Ray , looks great .
Knotty

Postby Tony P » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:33 am

Nice one Ray. Airline Modeller magazine must of been a while ago? I think I have spares of this scheme if anyone is interested.
RIAT 1994 was also the 25th Anniversary of the first flight of the British prototype from Fairford. So got to see a nice display of that too! Now that was loud. Louder than the B1.
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby Nillus » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 am

I hear you ref: LOUD (LoL)...

I was doing a pre-flight walk around on the 747-400 ex Heathrow when the Concorde took off about 500m away.
My chest cavity was resonating from the noise.
Ouch, but yum...I removed the earphones to soak up the atmosphere whilst most others on the ramp were pressing theirs closer to their heads. What a demonstration of power.

Beautiful model Ray.
Nillus

Return to Member's Completed Models