P-51D Mustang, Race 9, "Maytag"

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

P-51D Mustang, Race 9, "Maytag"

Postby BradG » Tue May 23, 2023 1:55 pm

This is the Tamiya kit in 1/48 that has been kicking around my stash for a good 20 years! I slightly modified the kit by sanding off the gun ports, filling in the ejector chute openings, adding some etched seatbelts to the cockpit and swapping the prop and spinner to an Aeroproducts one from the Meng kit. Usual Tamiya quality build, although I don't like the way they have done the canopy and windscreen, you can never get them just right due to the breakdown of parts.

Draw decals were used for the markings. They are ok, although I found that following their advice on application resulting in the decals bubbling and silvering badly. I managed to get most of it out, but not all. I then completely disregarded what was said in the instructions, applied a gloss, attacked them with Mr Mark and pressed them down into the surface. The result was better. If you do have Draw Decals in the stash to use, Mr Mark won't harm them and I soaked these ones in it!

As for the aircraft itself, "Maytag" was owned by David Maytag and raced in the 1965-66 seasons at Reno and a couple of other places. She was painted overall gloss chocolate brown, Revell 84 was used with several coats of Future polish over it to attain the gloss. Weathering was kept light with a little dust on the wheels and some light exhaust stains, just as it might have appeared after a race.

BradG

Re: P-51D Mustang, Race 9, "Maytag"

Postby Uros » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:07 am

It's beautifull!
Cheers!
Uros
Uros

Postby RayS » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:43 pm

That looks great Brad, nice one!
Ray

RayS

Postby Bell209 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:02 am

A nice contrast to the usaul bare metal. Nice work.
Rob
Bell209

Return to Member's Completed Models