1/48 Zlin-50M

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

1/48 Zlin-50M

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:45 pm

This is the AZ Models 1/38 Zlin-50M which I'm calling done. I had a bit of a mad last minute panic on this one getting it ready for the A/CAM display. It was about 95% done before and of course I left the last few items until the last minute. I experimented with Tamiya rattle can silver (gloss aluminium TS-17) which went on a treat. The issue I had was using Tamiya clear gloss as a sealer for the decals which reacted with the TS-17. I had to re-mask and re-spray some areas with the TS-17 - not happy! :evil:

In the future, I would use the Tamiya rattle can silver, but seal it with a acrylic clear like a Gunze perhaps. I thought about adding the aerobatic sights on the wingtips, but decided against this as this model is not competition worthy. The sights would just bust off over time with handling, so that will do me. These sights are removable on the real machine anyway - only used for aerobatic competition and practice. I added some detail to the cockpit and split the tail/elevator to show how the appear most of the time on the ground.

From what I've read, very few of these Zlins were fitted with the Avia engine before production went over to using the more powerful Lycoming 540 engine. I wanted to built the "M" version as the long engine gives the Zlin-50 a very Eastern European look. They are supposed to be great machines to fly.

Adam the Akrodude

Re: 1/48 Zlin-50M

Postby tor lives » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:19 pm

Nice job mate!!!.
A lovely model of a pretty aeroplane!!!
And she certainly looked good on the A/CAM display table.
TOR
tor lives

Re: 1/48 Zlin-50M

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Nice job there, Adam...you might want to call Jim's Mowing before you start her up, though!
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Return to Member's Completed Models