My Boeing 747 Project

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

Re: My Boeing 747 Project

Postby F-27pax » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:14 pm

If you've been wondering how the next 747 on the production line is going, it's moving along. It did sit on my shelf for a couple of weeks while I worked up the enthusiasm to embark on all the masking involved, but I've finally gotten over that hurdle.

It will be a Korean Air Cargo 747-8F which means that it has white and light blue on the fuselage with a silver band separating them. I started with the white, as you do, and then masked to do the silver and then masked that for the light blue. It was then that I discovered an engraved line along the center of the fuselage which is just right for the border between the blue and the silver. I used that and it showed me how out of line my border between the silver and the white is. So I'll have to go back and redo that. I'm also a bit concerned that the light blue, which I had to mix specially, has dried darker than I had expected so I might have to re-do that too. So, a little while yet before it is finished.

F-27pax

Postby tor lives » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:30 pm

Looking good Leigh.....the blue looks perfect to me.
All your 747 builds have motivated me to get my Qantas 747-300 project off the "curtain rail of doom" and back on the model desk.
I wouldn't mind having it done for Expo next year, (but than I say that about a lot of my half-built projects :D )
Thanks for giving me a bit of a kick in the butt where the 747 project is concerned.
TOR
PS: How is that young fella Wayne coming along with his recovery??
tor lives

Postby F-27pax » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:33 pm

The blue looks even better a tone or two lighter. I'm not a great supporter of scale colour because it it too subjective, but on this occasion I think that lighter is better than darker. We will see when the monster is finished.

I'm looking forward to seeing your QF 747-300 which will be ready by this coming Expo. There is now no excuse.

Wayne is jogging along much better than he had anticipated but still having trouble. He got to the most recent MoB meeting and was welcomed gladly be everyone.

Leigh
F-27pax

Postby Graeme H » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:54 am

Looking very good so far, you appear to have made a much better job than me in getting the blue about right, and good luck masking up that silver stripe, it's a real bugger to get straight,
ask me how I know
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby F-27pax » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:23 pm

Did I tell you how much I hate masking! Endless hours spent sticking tiny pieces of masking tape to the model in what you hope are the right places, hoping that there won't be any bleed through, hoping that the tape won't pull off some of the paint under neath it, hopind that you got the tape in all the right places, etc, etc.

The only thing that is worse is pulling all the masking off and finding our what went wrong, where there was bleed through, etc, etc, etc. So, after having pulled all the tape off I find there are more than a few areas that require some touching up. Some would require completely remasking the entire model and some can be touched up by hand. I'm willing to do the touching up by hand, but remasking is not on the agenda right now. No doubt, I hope, anyhow, that when the decals are on the viewer's eye will be drawn away from the unfixable problems. We shall see.

F-27pax

Postby tor lives » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Looks pretty dam good to me Leigh :D
TOR
tor lives

Postby Knotty » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:17 am

That's looking good to me Leigh , Korean blue can be a different shade depending on how old the aircraft is . It seems to fade a lot quicker than most paint jobs . Yours is coming up a treat .
Knotty

Postby F-27pax » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Here, at last, is the completed 747-8F with Draw Decals decals to make it into a Korean Air Cargo version. Revell are making some very impressive kits these days. Now on to the Zvezda 747-8I which, after a quick peer into the box, looks to be inferior to the Revell kit in many ways. Still, it's the only -8I in town so there's not much that can be done about it. Besides, I thought that the Revell kit was a bit over complex in parts. I'll let you know what I think when I think it.

F-27pax

Postby tor lives » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Love it!!!.... really looks the business.
Well done Leigh!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Great work mate. That has come up really nicely :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Completed Models