1/48 Airnorth DC-3 VH-MMA

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

1/48 Airnorth DC-3 VH-MMA

Postby scoops » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:50 pm

Hi All,

I know that you all might be thinking not another model of the Airnorth DC-3 VH-MMA. but the story behind this model was that it was built by a well known modeller in Oz Phil Keene in the early 80s to my personnel knownlegde as my father David Cooper was the Chief Pilot and Operation Manager for Airnorth from the start of the company with John hart. The Model was displayed in the reception area of the main office in a glass display case.

Here are a few pictures of the model done by Phil Keene and some of my father photos of VH-MMA during it change in liverys.
This picture show the correct anti glare on the DC-3 and it is the same shape as it was when the DC-3 serviced with the US armed force. I will find the correct information soon.
DC-3 VH-CAN also apart of the Airnorth fleet.
Image[/URL] and a side shot of the model Image.

There is VH-MMA in different liveries and one with a Cessna 310R flying over Darwin and a rampy.
and the colourful palm tree
DC-3 and Cessna 310R over Darwin and a rampy.

S.Cooper
scoops

Re: 1/48 Airnorth DC-3 VH-MMA

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:57 am

Very cool! Love these pic's and the story behind them.

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi mate. Firstly you can NEVER have too many models or pics of VH-MMA. I remember this model from years ago when I did numerous weeks work experience on the old side of the airport as an engineer at Airnorth. I was in awe of that model in the reception. I actually built a 1/72 version of my girl a while ago( viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6 ) I'd love to build a 1/48 model of her someday. VH-MMA was my baby back when I started, throughout and after my apprenticeship at Rossair. Myself and Bob Harrison used to look after her because no-one else wanted to work on the old, oily girl. I loved working on her and she's still the best plane I have ever worked on. I have spent lots of hours giving her the TLC she deserved all over the Territory. VH-CAN left the fleet just before I started my apprenticeship. Ah the memories of cylinder changes, pulling wings off, being handcuffed to the control column over lunch. Those were the days. I haven't seen her in years now that I live in Melbourne. Hope she is ok. I met your father back in the day and he was a great bloke. If I remember correctly he had an interest in a model shop at Hibiscus Shopping Centre. I used to spend hours in that little shop looking at all the kits when I was a kid. Anymore pics of the old girl would be greatly appreciated mate. Even though he won't remember me, please give my regards to your father. Cheers Paul
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Welcome Scoops,

Phil Keene is now a resident of Canberra and member of the ACT Scale Modellers' Society. He still builds but not as many civil subject unfortunately.

Thanks for the pictures and background.
Ray

RayS

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:48 am

I have just seen this.. love the Dak and love this 1/48 rendition, when I was going through my "build as many DC3s" as possible phase I had one of these planned and did the decal designs
VH-WAL

Return to Member's Completed Models