My Constellation project

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

My Constellation project

Postby F-27pax » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:00 pm

Here's another set of models made through a bit of cross kitting. If you want to do this at home you will need three Minicraft Super Constellation kits, a Welsh Models Constellation kit a Welsh Models Super Constellation Kit and a Welsh Models Starliner kit. You will also need some Hawkeye decals to finish off the project.

The whole project works on the basis that the Constellation and the Super Constellation used basically the same wings and the Super Constellation and the Starliner used basically the same fuselage. ( That's what my research at the time told me and if you know better, don't tell me.) I used the undercarriage from the Minicraft kit on all three models for the sake of uniformity and because the Minicarft ones looked better than the Welsh Model ones.

First we have a Qantas Empire Airways Constellation. To make this I used the wings and engines, undercarriage and tail of a Minicraft Super Constellation and the fuselage of a Welsh Models Constellation. I used the tail of a Minicraft kit grafted to the Welsh Models fuselage mainly because it was easier than trying to sand down all those tail fins to the same thickness.

The Super Constellation was made more or less out of the box. The only change was to replace the area around the cockpit with the area from a Welsh Models kit because, to my eye, the cockpit of the Minicraft is round like the cockpit of a Constellation, not squarer as the cockpit on the Super Constellation.

Finally, a Starliner which was a lot more work than the others. It uses the fuselage of a Super Constllation (with a Welsh Models cockpit) and the wings and engines of the Starliner kit. The work goes into attaching the wings to the fuselage because the wings were set further back on the fuselage of the real thing than they were on the Super Constellation. Lots of bits of plastic to fill the hole forward of the wings and to make up the rear fairing on the wing/fuselage join, and lots of filler to make it all smooth in nicely. All three Welsh Models kits come with the same Air France decals and, since Qantas didn't fly the Starliner, I used the Air France ones for a change.

The thing I really didn't like about all three models was the deicing boots on the tails. It's bad enough having to do it once, but three times....

I have a Minicraft EC-121 in my model collection waiting to be made since I like the sea blue schemes they used to have. However, I don't have a spare Welsh Models Super Constellation kit to sacrifice for the cockpit. I do have a look around at swap and sells to see if I can find one cheap, but so far I've been lucky.
F-27pax

Re: My Constellation project

Postby kfutter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Terrific work Leigh! I'm a big fan of the Connie, but confess to knowing very little about the various variants. I've got the Revell kit, and it's bigger, older Airfix cousin to turn into Qantas birds at some point. I've been collecting some of Paul Fisher's upgrades for the latter. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kev
kfutter

Postby RayS » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Nice collection Leigh, The Connie is a favourite of mine. Nice to see the different models together.
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:29 pm

Great collection there mate and amazing work combining the different kits :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 pm

OK Leigh....now that IS an impressive line-up of some very classy ladies!!!.
Qantas did seriously consider the Starliner but, as the Boeing 707-138 was just about to enter service at the time, Qantas realised that the future lay in pure jets and moved in that direction, (and they were right). The Starliner would however have looked very nice indeed in Qantas colours (mmmm I can feel a WIF coming on).
Thanks for sharing another beaut line-up of your magnificent airliners.....you are an airliner-building machine :D .
TOR
tor lives

Return to Member's Completed Models