My 737 Project

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

My 737 Project

Postby F-27pax » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:23 pm

It having been a tiring day I don't feel inclined to do any modelling so, instead, something else I'd been thinking of doing.

You may recall that I like making sets of aeroplanes, and here is one of the first ones I made. When I made this set there were nine different Boeing 737 versions so the challenge was to make nine different models. The fuselages of all nine models are from Revell kits, which seem to be the most accurate and, even if they aren't, they look the best. In particular they have that particular Boeing nose shape that carries across the 707, 727 and 737 models. For the first two models use Revell fuselages cut to the correct length (using a count of the windows) for that model, Airfix wings and tail, all joined together and using decals i've waited for a long time to use. The first one is an Ansett NZ 737-100 with which Ansett entered the New Zealand market.

A 737-200 is the same thing again but with a longer fuselage and Air Nauru decals for an airline which, i guess, has long gone.

With the 737-300 the models move onto using the Minicraft wings, engines and tail attached to Revell fuselages cut to the appropriate length for each model.

Next the slightly longer 737-400. I understand that the Pan Am markings are not for the venerable airline but for a newer airline that bought the name when Pan Am went broke.

Next again is the longer 737-500. I quite like the LOT livery and I've made a few other models as LOT airliners since this one.

Now the first of the New Generation 737s. I now know that the engines are not quite the right shape but, although I've looked at the possibility of using some aftermarket engines but yanking off the old engines and putting on new ones will most likely do some more substantial damage to the model. So I eventually decided to leave NG 737s as I finished them. These are kits more or less out the box apart from the usual fuselage shortening, in most cases. WestJet is not a commonly known airline but there weren't many options for a 737-600 operator.

I can't now recall the decal sheet that I used for this Virgin Blue 737-700. Virgin Blue decal sheets do not seem very common days and the model using them certainly looks more spectacular and interesting than the restrained Virgin Australia scheme.

At last, a standard Qantas 737-800 with Hawkeye decals again. This is the only model of the lot that was made straight from the box, with a little fiddling here and there.

Finally, the longer 737-900 that was lengthened by adding in a couple of plugs made from the leftover of earlier 737NG kits. There aren't too many airlines flying the -900 and I quite liked the retro scheme.

I guess that there will be more new model 737s somewhere down the track. We'll have to wait to be sure about any visual differences between then and standard 737NGs and hopefully Revell with produce a kit of it when the time comes.

Leigh
F-27pax

Re: My 737 Project

Postby RayS » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:00 am

Very nice collection Leigh. I wish I could stay focused enough to do something like that.

Mind you I have built 4 737s of various marks with 3 still in the collection.
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:33 am

Awesome mate. Now who doesn't like a 737. I've only done 1 737-200 Airfix kit but have a few more in the stash. Like Ray I'm not focused enough to concentrate on 1 subject so very well done. They all look great :D
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi Leigh,
As Paul has said....AWESOME line-up!!!.
I am really impressed with your cross-kitting concept to get the best possible example of each 737 variant....very clever and very effective :D .
I hope ya don't mind, but I thought I would add one of mine to your 737 theme. It's the Minicraft Boeing 737-400 and it was built (many years ago) to represent the Qantas-operated, (on short-term lease) VH-TJV.
We used to refer to her as "Tango Juliet Vomit" cause she was such an odd-ball, non-standard, shitbox of an aeroplane :? .
Of note is that, at the time, she was the only 737 in the QF fleet to carry the CFM engine logos, (now common place on the 737-800 fleet), and to be equipped with the wing-tip mounted tail logo flood lights.
Thanks for sharing such a great line-up with us once again.
TOR
tor lives

Postby F-27pax » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Nice looking QF 737. I'm afraid I'm not as knowedgable about individual aeroplanes, so I usually just make what is easiest off the decal sheet.

I thought it had taken me a long time to make those 737 models but, on looking back, I see that they were all made between about October 2009 and March 2010. Still, I'd been planning the project for a long time before then and accumulating all the necessary kits to make them, so it was probably a couple of years from beginning to end.

At the moment I'm about to embark on a 727 project. Originally it was going to be simply a couple of AN and TN 727-100s and a couple of the same airline's 727-200s. But I found that I had six kits, three -100s and three -200s, and picked up another -200 at the recent Eastern Suburbs event. Then I went looking to see what I had in the way of decals and had a look at all the different schemes that the Australian 727s appeared in, and while I was down in Melbourne today I pick up another couple of the Airfix 727-200s, which should just about cover off all the main schemes, with the help of some more Hawkeye decals. No cross kitting this time, I'm not keen on the Airfix 727 noses but I'm not about to spend a lot of money getting replacements for all nine kits.

By the way, here's one I made earlier, with Hawkeye decals of course.

F-27pax

Postby tor lives » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Loved the Eastwest 727s....it was such a clean and simple scheme.
Here is my contribution to your Australian-flavoured 727 project
Obviously a WIF, but, following merger, Qantas did technically take ownership of the last 6 Australian Airlines 727-200s.
Had they had been activated from storage, presumably this is how they would have looked.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Nicolas_Fantich » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Love your parade of 737s Leigh ;) Thanks for sharing and for giving me an idea or two !
Nicolas

On the Bench
1/144 Academy Douglas DC-6B - Adria Airways YU-AFF
1/48 Revell North American P-51D Mustang 'Miss America'
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D (Cavalier) Mustang N51RH
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D Mustang N64CL 'Miss Van Nuys'
Nicolas_Fantich

Return to Member's Completed Models