460 Squadron RAAF Lancaster B.I 'G for George'

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

460 Squadron RAAF Lancaster B.I 'G for George'

Postby AndrewDoppel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Finished ready for Model Expo 2015. 1/72 Airfix B.III Lancaster finished as a B.I 'G' for George of 460 Squadron RAAF with RAF Resupply Kit for bombs and tolleys.

Type: AVRO Lancaster B.I
Serial: W4783 AR-'G' for George
Based: 460 Squadron RAAF, U.K. - Various bases.
Scheme: Standard British Lancaster scheme.
History: Built in 1942, 'George' completed over 90 missions with great success whilst with 460 (RAAF) Squadron based in the UK and is distinguished as returning every person who served on him 'home'. He was later donated to Australia as a War Tours aircraft before being retired to the AWM. The variation in scheme of this model is how he was restored after being withdrawn from display in 1999 and stripped back and now on display at the AWM today.
Kit: Airfix Lancaster B.III 'Dambuster' (OOB) back dated to B.I from kit parts. Decals generously supplied by Airfix.
References: ADF Serials, Internet, Peter Maloney

Regards

Andrew Doppel
AndrewDoppel

Re: 460 Squadron RAAF Lancaster B.I 'G for George'

Postby Knotty » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:47 pm

Very nice Andrew , I'll have to check it out in the flesh at expo.
Knotty

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Great work mate. Very nicely done :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:34 am

As said on the ModelArt FB page.......beautiful job Andrew. A superb representation of a most significant aeroplane.
TOR
tor lives

Postby AndrewDoppel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:41 am

Cheers Guys. Look forward to catching up over the weekend.
Regards

Andrew Doppel
AndrewDoppel

Postby Graeme H » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:55 am

A really nice dio
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:09 am

Always great to see a 460 Sqn Lanc - great job Andrew. What's the deal with the different fading on the upper wing? Did this bird go through a main spar replacement (salvaged from another Lanc?)?

My mother's cousin Sgt. Beresford Milton Troy-Davis served with 460 and he and his crew were shot down over Holland on the 23rd May, 1943. All but one of the crew survived. I've had the honour to visit the graves of Beresford and his crew in Schoonebeek in Holland and visit a museum near Amsterdam where the remains of the BF-110G-4 which shot down "AR-J". Lt August Geiger was shot down and killed a few months later by the famed British night fighter pilot Bob Brahamnflying I think his last mission in a Beaufighter. August drowned in his parachute in the Zuider Zee. It was pretty fascinating doing the detective work on Beresford. He was an only child and my mother was supposed to visit the grave with her auntie just after the war, but her own father (my grandfather) became ill with bowel cancer after returning from serving with the Army.

Only known photo of Beresford in service.

Apol's for my sentimental prattle. It was a pretty interesting journey doing this research. I must make a 460 Lanc at some stage - may go for that 1/32 kit coming out soon. :shock:

Great job once again. It will be at Expo yes?

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby AndrewDoppel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Thanks again guys,

Glad you like it. Adam, strangely enough at some point I was going to do AR-J but in a flying pose. Interesting story.....yours.

In relation to the coloration, there are two thoughts on it. The first being that it was just where the parts were manufactured and painted with more Lancs probably looking this way OR it was from the damage it received when an incendiary went off underneath her and this was the result of repairs however, the first is more likely.
Regards

Andrew Doppel
AndrewDoppel

Return to The Air Base