Figure painting - anyone get into this?

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Figure painting - anyone get into this?

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:37 pm

I sometimes try something different and have a crack at figure painting. The "eyes" are the hardest as is getting skin tone right for me. I take my hat off to those who master figue painting. I find it effing hard to try to get right. Here's a couple of my attempts. Anyone else try figures and add them to their model?

Ayiieee Yah! Karate kick!

My "Col. Jack Broughton" was converted from a seated figure. I played Dr. Frankenstein cutting of arms and legs on this dude. I have to change his hair cut, as Broughton sported a buzz cut - this dude is positively a hippie!

Oi! Are you takin' to me schweinhund!

Adam the Akrodude

Re: Figure painting - anyone get into this?

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:05 pm

I have to put a pilot in my Sabre I'm doing for my Dad that I started tonight. Not happy about it but ya get that. Here he is so far. Best bit was sticking his head on a stick :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Wedgetail » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Adam, I don't know if this will help you. make sure the subjects pupils line up with the ends of the mouth, unless they're meant to be looking elsewhere.
I find that using a sharp needle to auger a small hole in the eyeball for the pupil position and then a drop of paint in the hole helps.
Just make sure they don't end up having punters eyes, i.e. one each way when you make the hole.

Also, if you intend to model a lot of figures, Zotz Decals do a great human eyeball decal sheet covering the major scales.
Wayne.
Wedgetail

Postby DesTROYer » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:16 am

I've tried a couple of times and I know only practice will make me better, but I'm almost always disappointed and find it usually takes something away from the "realism" of the model when I do it. As I was doing an inflight mirage for A3-2 I gave it a go and also recently put one in my Wildcat, but im not even 90% happy with the end results. No where near even coming close to being as good as yours.

DesTROYer

Postby tor lives » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Don't be to hard on yourself Troy.
What you and Adam are doing with your figure painting is really good....far better than anything I could produce.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks Wayne for those hints - brilliant. I like the pin hole technique for locating the eye. I have learnt that the shape of the eye is critical - it's not a circle, more a kind of half circle. I've studied a few eye and face painting techniques and it's challenging stuff. I start with the white of the eye, then the iris/pupil is painted either black or dark brown with a tiny white dot shown reflected light off the surface of the eye (reflection), then the eye lashes, then the skin outline around the eye. I do think I might have a crack at those Zotz eye decals next time - it's kinda cheating, but sounds a massive time saver! Then it's playing around with colours and shades on the face.
Skin tones. I start with a overall skin colour and then build up the shades and tones using different lighter and darker shades mixed with a semi-gloss clear. This builds up layers on the face and gives depth. I study faces to get these shades right - or as right as I can make them. Some people use artist oils, as these will blend better as they take a while to dry. I may give this a go next time as well. It's a challenge to make the figure life like and not too clown like. When I start the big Suk hopefully some time next year, there will be a Russkie driver either in the cockpit or climbing the ladder.

Troy I do think your Wildcat pilot really adds to the model - looks great! Of course the smaller the scale, the harder it is to make the pilot lifelike I think. Below 32nd scale is super tough! I am going to give this a go though when I build my A-26A Counter Invader. What I like about adding figures to a model is it gives the subject life and scale. One can really see and appreciate the size of a given subject with a "man" giving proportions - bit like seeing the "human" figure in architectural/building and engineering drawings. So, I'll keep at this and work on refining techniques - I think it's worth it.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Wedgetail » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:28 pm

Troy I agree with Adam, the pose & painting of the pilot in your Wildcat really adds to the overall build. As long as you're happy with it nothing else matters.
You can always add a scratch built oxygen mask to a pilots face if you're not happy with it.
Adam I'm certainly no figure painting expert but I think your Luftwaffe figure looks great IMO.
Say after me.... using Zotz eye decals is not cheating, it's facial enhancement made easy for the modern modeller.
Wayne
Wedgetail

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:39 pm

OK Wayne

"Using Zotz eye decals is not cheating, it's facial enhancement made easy for the modern modeller!"

Sold - I'll buy some! :D

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Return to The Air Base