ICM 1/48 Spitfire IX

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

ICM 1/48 Spitfire IX

Postby kfutter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:57 pm

I started building this one in early 2014, and ended up setting it aside at the beginning of 2015, fully primed and ready for paint. After I'd finished the Minicraft Stratocruiser, I decided I might be in with a chance of getting this one across the line (and off the bench) before I go back to work (tomorrow, actually). And - just - I did! Here it is:

I noticed while taking these photos, that I'd managed to get some clear flat overspray on the windscreen:

I've since removed most of this overspray with a cotton bud moistened with Windex. I punched out a small disc of Bare Metal Foil chrome for the pilot's review view mirror.

I also lost the small clear part that goes on the fuselage spine behind the aerial mast, so I made another one from clear sprue:

The entire model looks like it's sitting too tall to my eye, and you can see how upright (and long) the landing gear is in the following photo:

The other thing you'll notice, which I only noticed myself once I had assembled it, is how oversized the prop blades are. The prop really does need replacing, but obviously it's too late for this build.

Overall though, I'm still pretty happy with the way it turned out. I'm especially happy that I managed to achieve what I had in my mind's eye, weathering-wise. Builds like this are perfect for practicing painting and weathering techniques, and it really doesn't matter that the kit itself is a bit crappy, and that I didn't execute the build as well as I should have. I have the Hasegawa 1/48 kit in the stash, too, and intend to build that one with a fully exposed engine. I just have to decide if I'm willing to tackle the fuselage length issues...

Anyway, thanks one and all for looking in.

Kev
kfutter

Re: ICM 1/48 Spitfire IX

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:39 pm

That looks great Kev. I agree about the prop but it's still a great job. I've built ICM's P-51 and while almost a direct copy of the Tamiya kit it didn't just fall together. It took a bit more work but I quite enjoyed the build. I have quite a few ICM Spits to do though I don't think I'll be putting the engines in any due to the cowls not fitting. Anyways mate another cracker effort there :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby kfutter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks, Paul. I'm actually thinking about snooping around for another cheap ICM kit, so I can use the rear fuselage to correct the Hasegawa one!

Kev
kfutter

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:00 pm

Kev

This is most excellent sir! Very realistic finish. How did you do the fading - using lighter tint paint and airbrush?

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Wedgetail » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:59 pm

Very nice Spitfire Kev, looks great to my eye. I'm not a Spitfire expert but I know a nice model when I see one and that is one nice model.
Well done. Looking forward to more coming from the Kev modelling desk.
Cheers
Wayne
Wedgetail

Postby kfutter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:14 am

Adam the Akrodude wrote:Kev

This is most excellent sir! Very realistic finish. How did you do the fading - using lighter tint paint and airbrush?

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam,

Yeah, sort of. On this model I used what Matt McDougall has been calling 'black basing', though he didn't invent this approach (I first saw it outlined in an article on Hyperscale by Rafe Morrisey). Here's Matt's blog post about it:

http://doogsmodels.com/2014/07/03/techn ... ck-basing/

The basic idea is that you start with a coat of black primer, and then build up a mottle of the camouflage colours on top of it. Matt's much better at it than I am, so I'll let his blog post explain the rest. But the primary goal is to provide a realistically variegated finish, versus the geometric train wreck that his the hallmark of so much pre-shading.

Kev
kfutter

Postby kfutter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:14 am

Wedgetail wrote:Very nice Spitfire Kev, looks great to my eye. I'm not a Spitfire expert but I know a nice model when I see one and that is one nice model.
Well done. Looking forward to more coming from the Kev modelling desk.
Cheers
Wayne

Thanks, Wayne!

Kev
kfutter

Postby AndrewDoppel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:34 am

Nice one Kev
Regards

Andrew Doppel
AndrewDoppel