DesTROYers 1/48 RAN Grumman S-2G Tracker

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Re: DesTROYers 1/48 RAN Grumman S-2G Tracker

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Looking good there mate :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:17 pm

A bit of detail work today though it doesn't look like much. For some reason I keep putting off doing the undercarriage.

After assembly and painting are complete, this may sit on the shelf for a bit. Though I have a set of Novascale decals for it. Ronin decals are about to release a new and better set in hopefully around three weeks time. I'll certainly be holding out for them.
DesTROYer

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Another set of PE cut, folded and glued on, then it was time to lay down some primer and look for flaws and sink marks.

Seems i've done an ok job, as there were only a few, that I've now filled and will sand back tomorrow. I did have a bug that decided to fly and die on the underside of the wing that I had to sand off. ewww.
DesTROYer

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:06 pm

That looks really good, Troy!
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Can't say I was up with the birds this morning, but the birds were still getting the worms when I did make my way into the office.

Decided to give this black basing ago. After a quick chat with Eric and a re-read of his Mirage and Hornet threads on the subject, I went in to the garage to give it a go. Narrow, close backed lines are the go, I was told. I started with the horizontal stabilisers. Here they are close, but need more which was added later.

Getting the line width right by getting the right pressure, distance and adjustment screw setting was a challenge, but by the end I was betting much better.

Topside and tails done. Looking good, but still more needed.

Underside done too. Much closer to be finished.

Undercarriage and wheels.

Engine cowls and bay doors done too. The outside of the doors are black base hatched and the inside gloss white.

Another coat of white on the internals of the doors still go, then I will start applying the many light coats of white to the underside surfaces tomorrow. Please grant me patience.
DesTROYer

Postby oz rb fan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:12 pm

you keep that up you might be able to do German night fighters...... :twisted: :D :lol: .......nice work mate..interesting technique.
oz rb fan

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Nicely done man :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Thanks guys, tonight as I've been watching TV, I have whipped up these masks for painting the props tomorrow using my Silhouette cutter.

I took a photo of the paint chart for the props with my phone and copied that photo in to the Silhouette Studio Program.

I then traced out the areas I wanted to mask and welded the joins.

Then using my callipers to measure the actual prop, I scaled down the cut templates down to the correct size, and multiplied them out to how many i need.

I still need to measure up some more cutout masks for the engine hubs, which I will do and add to the stencil tomorrow, before cutting them out.
DesTROYer

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Today saw part two of the black basing application. I started with the underside applying three light coats, each building up the white paint until the black swirls below were only hinted at.

Then as I left that to cure for most of the day, I got to work on the wheels and props. Using some masks I made up last night I masked them up and got painting.

Later in the afternoon, I set about masking the underside, so I could spray the main colour.

I then left that to cure for an hour and a bit while I had dinner, before I removed the masks. I always intended to go back an apply another coat of the white to the underside, mainly to add a feathering to the demarkation line, but once I removed the masks, I knew I had to. The black base swirls were still prominent in some areas and needed more white to be applied, and I want to give it an all over rub down with micro mesh. That will wait until the next couple of days however as tomorrow is ANZAC dyad there are things that must be done.
DesTROYer

Postby RayS » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:03 am

That is looking great Troy, those masks you made look like they worked really well!
Ray

RayS

PreviousNext

Return to The Air Base