My 1/32 Fisher Sea Fury!

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

My 1/32 Fisher Sea Fury!

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun May 04, 2014 3:03 pm

This is a build from 3 years ago. I thought I'd post it here nonetheless as I'm about to start another wonderful Fisher model - the magnificent RB-51.

Got to say this on the whole was a fun build. I really wanted to build a Aussie Sea Fury, so I used the Aussie Decals set (not great and some decal film has yellowed on the rear fuse stripes already - ARGH!). I had a few issues with these decals as the "109" and "K" are the wrong size. The "109" numerals are too short and wide and the "K" was 25% too small. The "K" I ended up masking on the fin, the "109" I have to live with - oh the fun of mucking around with after-market stuff huh! It's finished in RAN 805 Sqdn markings circa Korean War 1950/51 flying off HMAS Sydney. I guess this Sea Fury represents the one at the AWM, apparently a bit of a "bitsa" affair.

On the whole, this is a wonderful kit and just a work of art to build. I added a lot of hydraulic lines in the wheel well, plus some electrical boxes and wires. The cockpit is really something to behold (master by Roy Sutherland).

The main thing I did to the surface was rivet it and scribe along the rivet lines to reproduce that oil canning effect seen on aeroplanes of this era. Many photos I've seen have this surface effect as do the Sea Furys I've seen in the flesh. The rivets mostly disappeared under "Mr Surfacer 1200", as they do under the thick paint in real life. I'm mostly happy with the scribing effect I tried for the first time - quite a risk on a $195 USD model let me tell you!

If you want to build a accurate Sea Fury, I certainly recommend this kit - it's not cheap, but to me it was worth it. One day I will probably strip it and repaint with new decals as the Aussie Decals were in my opinion rubbish :evil:

Anyway, here she is!

Adam the Akrodude

Re: My 1/32 Fisher Sea Fury!

Postby oz rb fan » Sun May 04, 2014 5:22 pm

i finances allow me i might just have to buy a miss merced and an stm later in the year. :o :o :o
oz rb fan

Postby Nillus » Mon May 05, 2014 2:15 am

Oh my.
Magnificent finish !
That is such great detail in the wheel well.
Awesome. :o
Nillus

Postby hrtpaul » Tue May 06, 2014 9:15 am

Fan ****ing tastic Adam. They are a great model and you've made it even better. I agree with your sentiments regarding Aussie Decals. Unfortunately they're so hit and miss. I'd love to get one of these but it's a bit outta my price range (I can buy a few F-4s for the price of one of these). Very, very nice work mate :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed May 07, 2014 8:21 am

Nice one, Adam. Really looks the goods!
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Knotty » Mon May 26, 2014 10:10 am

Very nice indeed Adam , lots of detail .........I like it !!
Knotty

Postby tor lives » Mon May 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Yep......I have to agree with the boys!!! this is one hell of a ball-tearer of a model Adam!!!.
A true work of art with amazing detail. Thanks for sharing.
Ray
tor lives

Return to The Air Base