Imperial Japanese stuff

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Imperial Japanese stuff

Postby F-27pax » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:39 am

The Anigrand 1/144 Nakajima G5N2 is a fully resin kit, which means it’s somewhat more challenging than your ordinary polystyrene injection moulded kit. This was, so I read, a Japanese adaption of the Douglas DC-4E which was too big for American airlines to be interested in, so it went to Japan where it was used as the basis for a design of a heavy bomber. One of these days I will put this along a similarly scaled Boeing B-17 and I’m sure they G5N will dwarf the B-17. It was not a success, only a handful were made and they were used to carry cargo.

Anigrand 1/144 kits come with three ‘bonus’ kits, usually of subjects related in some way to the big kit. In this case only two of these tiny models survived because our cats made off with a major component of the third and my modelling skills are not sufficient to make a replacement, so it had to go in the bin. There are kits of the two surviving models available in 1/72 and I’d recommend making those if you want to end up with something that looks a bit more than alright.

Aichi E16A

Kawasaki Ki-78

Stepping up in scale to 1/72, here’s the Fujimi Aichi D3A2 using Rising Sun decals. It is a fairly straight forward kit to make but I am not a great fan of acrylic paints so I’m not happy with the final appearance of this model. Hopefully the new Taimya range of lacquers will have some good IJA and IJN colours that I can use if I ever get the urge to make more Japanese aircraft of the Pacific War era.

F-27pax

Re: Imperial Japanese stuff

Postby Graeme H » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:59 am

Well done on what I believe is a challenging kit
Outa of curiosity what was the other kit?
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby BradG » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:51 pm

Nice work. Resin kits can be either really nice, or really crap. I think I've built everything from good to shocking!
BradG

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:13 am

Graeme H wrote:Outa of curiosity what was the other kit?

See if you can guess from this :

http://www.anigrand.com/AA4037_G5N.htm

Ansett A330

Postby F-27pax » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:47 am

Yokosuka R2Y. This is the most interesting of the three, I seem to recall that Fine Molds do a 1/72 kit and I will try to find it one of these days.

F-27pax

Postby oz rb fan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:15 pm

nice collection there...RS models do a KI78 and of course the old hasegawa Jake....the Finemolds R2Y looks like a nice kit.
oz rb fan

Return to The Air Base