PAC CT-4A Airtrainer.

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

PAC CT-4A Airtrainer.

Postby RayS » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:28 pm

I thought I might drop this here since it will be in RAAF markings.

I started the Kiwi resin kit a couple of weeks ago as part of a BritModeller Trainers Group build.

Work has progressed quickly but I am losing interest as my AModel G-550 and C-37B have arrived (must resist the temptation!)

I have a connection to the build subject A19-49 as it was the first CT-4 I jumped into at 1FTS as part of a misguided notion to become a RAAF Navigator last century.

The kit is all resin with a vac form canopy

I started by removing the pore stubs from the pieces with the trusty razor saw

Such a small little piece of resin compared to the C-17 I am working on, that's the horizontal stab for size reference

I started with pinning the main parts for some joint strength

Studying some diagrams and images I found the rear fuselage need putty!

Since I was putting it on its wheels I had to make sure it was not going to be a tail sitter, so I drilled out the nose piece and the forward section of the main fuselage piece

and filled it with lead

But that was not enough, so I cut the rear fuselage in half and drilled those parts out as well

and then stuck it all back together

Next was the gear, The resin looked flimsy so I recreated the main legs with styrene and brass wire

resulting in this

That is as far Ias I got, next will be the canpoy and starting to figure out haow the cockpit parts go in.
Ray

RayS

Re: PAC CT-4A Airtrainer.

Postby BradG » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Looks like a neat kit.
BradG

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:32 pm

That looks really cool Ray :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Did I tell anyone I don't get along with vacform canopies?

Well now you know, I managed to take too much off when removing the excess, I will be able to recover the over removal. The other issue is that it is not a straight slot in affair. I need to rework the area under the windscreen to make it look like it is supposed to be there.

I made up a new instrument panel that is closer to what is in the actual aircraft.  I hope it will look OK under a lick of paint.

The seats have also been replaced as the supplied ones were a little undersized.

Ray

RayS

Postby F-27pax » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:12 pm

This looks a lot more friendly than rge ancient Tasman Models kit I made a couple of years ago. Yours is looking very good so far.
F-27pax

Postby RayS » Sun May 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks Leigh and some progress!

Internals fettled and painted, added some tape belts. The interior is a tad boring being grey and black.

Canopy has been fitted, there was a huge gap under the forward edge

which I filled with some painted rod, this will be puttied over once the future on the canopy is set and I have masked it.

I also need to tidy the join around the other seams and fair them in with some putty
Ray

RayS

Postby F-27pax » Mon May 13, 2019 7:51 am

This kit looks like a vast improvement on the Tasman Models kit I made a couple of years ago. Was your kit around at the time? If it was, I should have thrown mine in the bin and made this one, it looks lovely and a lot more accurate too.

F-27pax

Postby RayS » Wed May 15, 2019 6:07 pm

I understand this one came from the Tasman kit. The bloke who ran Tasman started Kiwi resin up.

This one is a bit more refined
Ray

RayS

Return to The Air Base