1/72 RAAF Jets

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

1/72 RAAF Jets

Postby RayS » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:00 pm

These have been on the bench for a while, mojo lost and regained a few times. I am now calling them finished.

First up is an Idea F/A-18B (early Italeri knock off), It had some features of the prototype like the LEX slots and dog tooth wing. The kit fuel tanks were a terrible shape and were replaced with Hasegawa items. Decals are a mix of Aussie Decal and Hawkeye.

It represents A21-109 early in its services, 1986

Next up is an Esci F-4E, nice kit and I added some Eduard etch in the cockpit and wheel wells and a couple of Verlinden Ejection seats. Decals from Hawkeye for 82 Wing A68-7207 circa 1971/2

The nose gear door needs to be fitted I just noticed.

Finally is an AMT (original Esci mould I believe) F-111A as 6SQNs A8-113, I added a Hasegawa SU-20 practice bomb carrier. It is modelled early in RAAF prior to being converted to F-111C config. Decla from Aussie decal which were so so. The tail serials disappeared when applied so I used two sets, I also over painted the 6SQN flash with a different blue as it looked to dark.

Ray

RayS

Re: 1/72 RAAF Jets

Postby oz rb fan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:50 am

very nice Ray
oz rb fan

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:50 am

Great work Ray :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby TheChronicOne » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:33 am

Three of my favorite jets! Very nice work and damn the RAAF has style..... all the cool wares. 8-)

How was the build on the F-111? I recently built an Airfix one myself (can't remember if I posted it here yet or not, though... ) and would be interested to know how they stack up. I had problems with the internal parts of the intakes on the Airfix one but the rest was a pretty smooth build, considering. Not sure how accurate is. Wondering if next time I might go for the AMT. In fact, on that note, I think my Sparkvaark is an AMT kit? Not sure. I have a Bicentennial F-111 by Hasegawa, too, and I've heard the Hasegawa F-111 were pretty good but again, I have no clue personally....
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Thanks Guys

Brad, the F-111 went together pretty well, it has recessed detail compared to the Airfix raised detail. I believe the AMT moulds are originally Esci. Parts count was reasonable and not over done. I enjoyed the build (except for placing all those walkway decals!).
Ray

RayS

Postby TheChronicOne » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:24 am

Cheers!!

Yeah, them long thin things like that are nightmarish sometimes. :x :P One time I decided not to bother and just masked and painted them but that wasn't much better honestly. Weren't many at least on my Spit, but this is nuts!
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Return to The Air Base