A-1K Skyraider, 1991, -Desert Storm- USMC

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

A-1K Skyraider, 1991, -Desert Storm- USMC

Postby TheChronicOne » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 am

Brought out of retirement for the Gulf War featuring avionics and communications upgrades & the like. The cockpit was moved a bit further back and other minor changes to the airframe itself but the Skyraider remained mainly unchanged in appearance from its earlier versions.

Hand painted it all with hairy stick and threw transfers on it from the stash. I had to borrow some stuff from a generic Navy alphanumeric sheet to get the unit stuff correct but I didn't really have to go crazy buying new things. I tried to use up whatever stuff I had on hand for an economic build. Good way to make use of an inaccurate kit. Rather than going through the pains of fixing everything, I just turned all those inaccuracies into design features of the K models.

-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Re: A-1K Skyraider, 1991, -Desert Storm- USMC

Postby BradG » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:50 am

That camo actually really suits the old girl.
BradG

Postby RayS » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:09 pm

Nice work, love the camo!
Ray

RayS

Postby Ansett A330 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:54 pm

Very nice!

And “Ah ha!” I think I know what to try and find and send in your next package with the encouragement / challenge to turn it into a turboprop powered version!
Ansett A330

Postby TheChronicOne » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:23 am

Come on with it!!!! :mrgreen: My focus of late is learning more about kitbashing and how to cut up and blend parts. Pretty good results so far but I need a lottttttttttt of practice. :lol: I even assembled a boat load of parts from my parts stash to mash together to create an aircraft based on a B-58 pod. It's going to take tons of cutting, planning, and blending. I decided I'd put myself through a hellish experience in kitbashing as a learning experience. Just two days ago I was ruminating about an engine swap on something. A 109 I think it was.... so... yeah. ;) Definitely something I've been wanting to tackle.

Thanks folks!
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Return to The Air Base