1/72 Airfix B-25 Tin Liz

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

1/72 Airfix B-25 Tin Liz

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:35 pm

This is part of my Port Moresby theme I have going on. B-25D-1, 41-30074, Tin Liz of the 501st BS, 345th BG, 5th Air Force. She was shot down by AA whilst conducting a low level strike against the Japanese over Dagua Airfield, PNG on May 21, 1944 with the loss of the whole crew. The bomber crashed about 3/4 mile from one end of the airstrip. I’ll be using the new tool 1/72 Airfix B-25 with a few aftermarket goodies as well. This is all I’ve got done so far but I’ll continue it tomorrow.

Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: 1/72 Airfix B-25 Tin Liz

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:16 pm

Can't believe it's been almost a year since I started this :o :o :o Anyways after I finished the Skyline I decided I should crack on with this. And as much as I enjoyed building the Skyline, it was nice to get back to a plane again. Firstly I needed to finish the cockpit. I applied the kit instrument decals which went down beautifully and look great. In this scale, I don't reckon an aftermarket dash would add very much to the model. I'm also being a tight ar$e :lol: :lol: :lol: I added some Wako Creative seat belts, courtesy of Red Roo, to the seats and I think they came up nicely.

It was then time to smash the cockpit components all together. I probably shoulda done a wash in there but meh, too late.

So lets atick the fuse halves together cos what could possibly go wrong? It was at this point I found that I'd f*cked up by glue a bulkhead and wing spar 180* out :oops: :oops: :oops: I proceeded to try to cut them apart with my hobby knife. They weren't the only things dut that day. I may have stabbed the end of my thumb whcih bled like a stuck pig. Some of you will know that I'm not that fond of blood, especially my own. Anyways emergency averted and bandaid attached to said thumb. After I had rectified the self inflicted SNAFU, the fuse was closed up without any fuss. This is where I'm up to at the moment.

This kit is going together very nicely without any issues. It's a lovely kit which is common with these newer Airfix kits. It won't be my last that's for sure.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby F-27pax » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:58 am

It looks like I'm going to have to get me one of these kits. Airfix is making some nice kits now. The build looks nice too.
F-27pax

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:26 am

F-27pax wrote:It looks like I'm going to have to get me one of these kits. Airfix is making some nice kits now. The build looks nice too.

It's a fantastic kit with a heap of different options in the box. I'll be getting more for my WW2 in Port Moresby theme :) :) :)
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:59 pm

A bit of an update. The old girl has progressed a bit last weekend. Once again spent some awesome time with my little man in the model cave.
I got the engines painted and shoved in their respective cowls. I think they'll look the part.

I think I have the nose weight sorted. The nose will be one of the last things to go on so I can tweak the weight if needed.

After a bit of fiddling the nacelles went on without too much fuss.

Hopefully I'll get some more done this week. That should involve a bit of putty and sanding. Might paint the wheels and props while I'm at it. I still have to figure out how I'm gonna do the nose glazing for the strafer mods but I'll sort it some how. I've also lost my $25 set of Eduard masks for this :evil: :evil: :evil: Now if only I could get my Portrait cutter to talk to Win10 then I could just cut some more :? :? :?
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:55 pm

A bit of an update. Firstly to my Portrait cutter machine. After fighting with it for a couple of weeks, I finally got it talking to my PC with some help from Damo :D :D :D So I was able to, after a bit of experimentation, get some masks cut out. I've read the Oramask 810 that I have doesn't like compound curves too much and I found this was the case for this build. I bought some Tamiya tape sheet from BNA and it turns out that it works a shit ton better. I managed to get 4 sets of masks on the 1 sheet so it works out to about $0.75 per set instead of $25 for a new Eduard set so winning.

A little trimming required but they went on really well

After the mask issue was sorted it, was onto the strafer mod for the nose. Airfix graciously included 2 different nose glazings in the kit so the spare was used as a test piece. I first sanded off the frame detail at the very front (a bit too much I think) for the plate where the guns were fitted is located. A bit of .005" sheet did the trick. To cover the hole for the flexible .50cal, I filled it with stretched sprue and then I punched a 1.8mm disc which was glued it over the hole. I then guesstimated where the guns were located after having a look at numerous pics, which are harder to find than you may think. I fluked the holes for the guns almost perfectly so hopefully I can do the same on the real one. I used some .50cal barrels from Quickboost which were glued with CA. Overall I like how it came up and if the real one comes out as good then happy days.

Guns fitted and gun mount covered

I put some Tamiya panel liner on the guns to make them easier to see. A bit more tweaking is needed to get them straight but she'll be right.

I have also since put all the other windows in as well. Hopefully I get into the modelling cave to progress it a bit more :)
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:04 pm

Nice work with the master creation Paul, gun nose looks great as well.
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:26 pm

RayS wrote:Nice work with the master creation Paul, gun nose looks great as well.

Thanks Ray. The real one turned out just like this one which I'm happy about. I finally got the old girl in primer a week ago. Still have a few seams fix but it's getting there :)

hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:11 am

Nice work there Paul. Gotta love a big twin with lots of guns!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby RayS » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:22 pm

Looks good under the primer, I have a Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit packed away somewhere, might have to dig it out. I always loved the look of the Mitchell and built the Airfix kit back in the 70s.
Ray

RayS

Next

Return to The Air Base