Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force F-4E Phantom

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force F-4E Phantom

Postby BradG » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:22 pm

From what I've read, Iranian pilots really liked the Phantom. It's speed, weapons and durability were put to good use against Iraq especially, conducting bombing, fighter sweep and reconnaissance duties, However when equipped with the Maverick air to ground missile, the Phantom found a new and deadly role; tank killing. Nearly 50 machines are still in service with the IRIAF today.

The Hasegawa Phantoms are pretty decent kits, although do watch out for the fit of the forward fuselage to the body and the fit of the air intakes, it can be tricky to get right and the better you get the fit the less sanding you will have to do. The instructions give you three machines, but I was not happy with the colour call outs, so I went with matching colours to the box top that I believe look better. I did use their suggested Gunze 44 flesh for the sand colour, but picked RLM 71 over their suggested Gunze 303 for green which I think was too light and I went with Revell SM381 brown. Gunze 311 grey was used for the under surface and RLM 70 for the drop tanks as the green here looks darker than the air frame colour. 

You will have to source weapons as only three drop tanks are included, but Hasegawa has put the inner pylons along with sidewinder launch rails in the kit. The Mavericks and launch rails come from the Hasegawa weapons set. 

BradG

Re: Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force F-4E Phantom

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:34 pm

Very nice Brad!

It was one of these that had a F-22 slide underneath to check the weapons load on the F-4 and then pulled up on the F-4s left wing and the USAF pilot came up on Guard and said "You really ought to go home" - GOLD!

Still, the Iranians sure have gotten their money out of their US supplied aircraft haven't they - even if they are targets these days.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:31 pm

Wow.....that is really beautiful!!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby Bell209 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:24 pm

Phabulous! Who doesn't love a Phantom (even if they're outclassed nowadays)?
Rob
Bell209

Postby RayS » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:18 pm

Looks great Brad, I assume it is 1/48?
Ray

RayS

Postby BradG » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:04 pm

RayS wrote:Looks great Brad, I assume it is 1/48?

Thanks mate, no it's 1/72
BradG

Return to The Air Base