F4u5-N, Italeri 1/72

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

F4u5-N, Italeri 1/72

Postby BradG » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:49 pm

A quickie build for the long weekend. It's the Italeri kit which is surprisingly good, I picked it up second hand for a couple of bucks without knowing much about it. About the worst I can say is the canopy is a bit thick and required some thinning on the inside to fit and it would probably require a vac replacement to pose open. Other than that this is a decent kit. Decals were reasonably good, I did have one shatter but that might have been because of age. I did make a couple of errors, but for a quick build I'm not too bothered. Note also I only roughly painted over the spinner and white cap to the radome, they appear to have been roughly painted over in reality to dull them down, unlike the markings which were very nicely toned down.

The model represents the aircraft flown by Guy Bordelon. Bordelon earned his wings in 1943 but did not see combat in WW2, posted state side as an instructor. Having various positions post war, he ended up taking charge of a detachment of all weather interceptor F4Us in 1952. He flew 41 low level interdiction missions against communist supply lines earning 3 Air Medals. In the summer of 1953, Fifth Air Force required help in dealing with North Korean night time nuisance raids, as several jet fighters had been lost trying to intercept Bed Check Charlies. VC3 post 3 aircraft to Pyongtaek on June 28th. They were immediately in action with Bordelon inception and shooting down two La 11s and two Yak 18s over the following 2 nights. On the 17th July he shot down another La 11, making him the only piston engine and only night fighter ace of the Korean War. He is also the last man to become an ace in a piston engine fighter. Post war he stayed in the Navy, being a part of, among other things, the recovery of Apollo astronauts.

As for Annie-Mo, the Corsair in which he claimed his 5 kills, she was less lucky, being written off a week after the final victory by another pilot.

BradG

Re: F4u5-N, Italeri 1/72

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:34 pm

Great work there! Are you going to see the movie Devotion? It's going to be 100 times better than TG2 - not that this is much of a claim!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby BradG » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:24 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote:Great work there! Are you going to see the movie Devotion? It's going to be 100 times better than TG2 - not that this is much of a claim!

I might, although if it's just going to be a CGIathon I might as well go play Warthunder for a couple of hours and it wont cost me 20 bucks for snacks.
BradG

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:39 am

BradG wrote:
Adam the Akrodude wrote:Great work there! Are you going to see the movie Devotion? It's going to be 100 times better than TG2 - not that this is much of a claim!

I might, although if it's just going to be a CGIathon I might as well go play Warthunder for a couple of hours and it wont cost me 20 bucks for snacks.

I hope it's not going to be hugely CGI. I've looked and read some reviews and there was a lot of IRL filming of Corsairs. Fingers crossed I guess. I too aren't a fan of CGI in war movies. They always get something wrong, particularly the speed/velocity of motion.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:37 pm

Lovely job Brad.....I love a good Corsair!!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby RayS » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:55 am

That's very nice!
Ray

RayS

Return to The Air Base