Czech Model F-80C Finished (with Glamour shots)

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Re: Czech Model F-80C

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:08 am

Looking great Eric. As far as the patchwork effect you mention, in some cases this is actually how the real aircraft are. Different metals and even different grades of the same metal do take on different colours. Besides I think it adds a bit of interest as well. But I do really like what you've done with the mottling mate. It looks very convincing IMHO :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Ericg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Agreed Paul. I just reckon that folks go a bit overboard with the different shades, to the point of making the model look weird.

I applied 90% of the decals today. Just a few more items of stencil data left and the `lil dottie' logo and stripe then it will be onto the weathering.

The kit decals are very nice and respond well to Microset and Sol.

The loadout. ZM 1000lb bombs instead of the much smaller kit ones (Thanks Simmo) and the tip tanks.

Ericg

Postby tor lives » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Excellent mate....just bloody excellent!!!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Really coming along nicely mate. I hear what ya saying. Sometimes I like to do shit that isn't quite as accurate as it could be but I think looks good. I actually wanna try a patchwork kinda look with Alclad. If anything just to learn how to use it better and in different situations. Just a question with your F-80. How did you find the kit build-wise? Ta man :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Ericg » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Paul, build was good mate. It is a short run kit so it doesn't snap together like a shake and bake. It requires a bit of thoughtful interpretation of the instructions.

Some more progress. All the decals are on and I have started the wash process using the Flory black and white washes mixed to give me a medium grey colour so as not to be too stark.

Ericg

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:41 pm

I really like it mate. Keep it up :)
hrtpaul

Postby Ericg » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm

Wilco Paul.

In fact, here is another update!

Another solid day at the workbench applying the many finishing touches. I have started to paint the resin base, Alclad steel and a mix of earthy looking acrylic. A wash and a drybrush and it should look really cool. I loaded one wing to see how the loadout hangs now it is on its wheels. I can feel a bit of surgery coming on as the model looks a little high on the gear legs.

Ericg

Postby tor lives » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Very cool indeed Eric.
I have always found the F-80/T-33 to be an unassuming, utilitarian, and tame-looking aircraft, but this model really highlights her basic good looks.
TOR
PS: wonder how those big jugs impacted on her overall performance on a hot day out of Kimpo
tor lives

Postby Ericg » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi Ray, Funny that you should mention that as it is part of a detail that I wanted to incorporate. I think they used JATO bottles for those situations (although they wont be fitted here)

Moving along and my attention has turned to some of the smaller detail and stuff that hangs off the airframe.

The 1000lb bombs that were strapped to these aircraft were kept out in the open and were very weathered by the time they were put into use.

After painting the base colour I sprayed water over the bomb and then sprinkled salt all over it.

A Lighter coat of the base colour was misted over the bomb, and once dried the salt was scraped off leaving it looking very speckled and weathered.

I then streaked an even lighter coat over the bomb to weather it even further. Once all this has a chance to dry, I will apply dirt effects.

Fitting it to the `in progress' pylon.

To lift the heavy bombs, the Aircraft was sometimes fitted with JATO bottles. I kept on noticing that the mounts that secured the bottles was an overlooked detail of the kit and was one that I wished to depict (although I wont fit JATO's)

A circle of plastic card divided in 4

Some creating cutting

Fitted. A small but noticeable difference.

I glued the undercarriage to the model in order to sand the tyres down so that the bottoms of them are flat. Here is how it looks now.

In the right sort of light, the model is looking very realistic compared to the colour photos I have of it. Lots more to go.

Ericg

Re: Czech Model F-80C Bombs, weathering, JATO mounts

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Please have a lot more children or we will be forced to have your fingers broken! How else will we be able to slow the advance of your all powerful modelling skills? :D

Looking absolutely wicked. NMF is not easy and you have done a great and very convincing job. Not sure what technique I'd try next on a 1/32. The Metaliser paints are super forgiving and really robust, or I might have a go at foiling, which so intrigues me. Complex curves and using foil does scare me a little though. I want to be able to reproduce scuffs, scratches and tarnish/oxidation.

That is one beautiful looking bird!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

PreviousNext

Return to The Air Base