1/48 Italeri Spitfire Mk IX

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

1/48 Italeri Spitfire Mk IX

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Hey peeps. Thought I'd better put a military spin on things in here :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I started this thing yesterday. It's a 1/48 Italeri Spitfire MkIX converted to an FR.IX. When I say converted, I mean I drilled a hole in the hatch behind the cockpit and scratch built (That's a scary thing to see me type) a camera for inside the hole. I forgot to bring a resin camera with me so I thought I'd give this scratch building thing a go. Not that the camera was that complicated. I've almost finished the cockpit. Just gotta go to Toyworld tomorrow to get a couple of paints. By mid morning I hope to have the fuse closed up. This is the only pic so far and it's the camera I made. The toothpick is for scale. It's now painted and waiting to be put inside the fuse tomorrow :) I'll be using BarracudaCals decals and it'll be pink (very light pink) :)
Last edited by hrtpaul on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: 1/48 Italeri Spitfire Mk IX

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:53 am

Here's a few more pics of where it's up to

I'll be using the AWESOME seat belts I got from Red Roo. I've used them on my 1/48 P-40 and have just used the 1/72 ones in an Airfix P-51 I'm doing as well. They work really well and look great. They are gonna save me a shitload of $$$ not having to buy resin seats any more :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Ok peeps. The seat is done, cockpit complete, fuse together with the cockpit installed. I'm really happy with how the pit turned out especially with the belts. Here's a few pics before the pit went into the fuse (crappy iPhone pics) :)

hrtpaul

Postby oz rb fan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:11 am

Very nice!!!
oz rb fan

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:12 pm

This is where I'm upto with this so far. Haven't been able to do any modelling cos that bloody work ting has been in the way. I won't get this finished before I go home Sunday week so it can stay here and I'll concentrate on the 1/72 Airfix P-51 and get that done :)
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi peeps. Another update on the pink Spitfire I'm doing. The pink is a custom mix that looks right to me but no doubt someone will have a drama with the shade of pink. Oh yeah that's right, I don't give a shit :twisted: I might not have covered the preshading up enough on the bottom but I'll see how it looks once the weathering and flat coat go on. All the decals are on (and there weren't that many) and they went down beautifully. They were from Barracudacals and they're awesome. These's another aircraft (HF.IIV) from this sheet that I want to do as well as a couple of NMF aircraft on the Italeri sheet that'd be nice to. I'll be using the ICM kit for these though as I found the Italeri one ok building wise but I reckon the ICM kit looks better. So a coat of one go later this evening then a wash and weathering tomorrow. I've got just over 1 week to get this done before I head off to TSV again. Here are the pics :)
Last edited by hrtpaul on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:26 pm

This thing is FINISHED :D :D :D :D I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out. A few things bug me like the canopy/windscreen paint and overdone the weathering a little among other things. I can't rave enough about the Barracudacals decals. They were some of the best I've ever used. This is the last one I'll finish before I head to TSV this Saturday. Here's some pics so now to go and pick something from the stash to take up there with me :)
hrtpaul

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Looks awrite, mate!
Got an Aztec you can take with you if you like.. :twisted:
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:55 pm

GGF'd :lol: :lol: :lol:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Well I gotta hand it to ya mate.....when it comes to pink Mustangs and Spittys you are the king :D .
But seriously.....you have done a magnificent job on this Spitty, it really is a beautiful model.
TOR
tor lives

Next

Return to The Air Base