Some nice little RAAF "hand-me-downs"

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Some nice little RAAF "hand-me-downs"

Postby tor lives » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:02 am

Hi guys,
As mentioned else where, Knotty and myself were recently the fortunate recipients of a significant private model collection that numbered into the 100s. Amongst the many completed model kits I received was a number of 1:72 RAAF aircraft.....I thought I would share some of these little gems with you.

While admittedly, many of these models have seen better days...some of them are remarkably well-made, (check out the Spitty and Boston in particular), and are indeed worthy of prservation.
As a measure of respect for the generous individual who gave us his much-loved aeroplane collection, I will be proudly displaying some of these aircraft in my collection, while passing some on to Paul (Oz RB) for his RAAF collection.
Thanks again Rob for your consideration and generosity.
TOR
PS: the more observant will note that the Wirraway is actually a Texan, (much like the 1:1 scale)
tor lives

Re: Some nice little RAAF "hand-me-downs"

Postby oz rb fan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:21 pm

They are very nice.....the weathering on the spit is beautiful.....I have a long way to reach that level.
oz rb fan

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:34 pm

You know I've never built an Australian aircraft for my own models. I've built a bucket load for other people, but none for me.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 am

_BlackHawk_ wrote:You know I've never built an Australian aircraft for my own models. I've built a bucket load for other people, but none for me.

Not that I have many models, but I only have one - my P-40E in my attempt at replicating John Jackson's 75 Sqn Kittyhawk - and failing! Mine actually represents more a Milne Bay Kittyhawk I've learned, not the earlier all over Khaki "44 Days" 75 Sqn Kittyhawks - ah, ya live and learn! I want to do a 3 Sqn P-40C one day. I do have the Tamiya 1/32 Mk.VIII Spitty to do one day as well. Very tempted to do a 1/48 RAAF Beaufighter and must build a 460 Sqn Lancaster in my mother's cousin's scheme "AR-J" - that never returned to RAF Binbrook on the 23rd May, 1943.

This is a happy ending for these "hand me downs". It does beg the question what will become of all our models when we're going, going, gone?
Adam the Akrodude

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:48 am

Do the Beaufighter. Remember Wings this year is 'Build a Beaufighter'.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:07 am

_BlackHawk_ wrote:Do the Beaufighter. Remember Wings this year is 'Build a Beaufighter'.

Love to Brad, but it's down the list a bit. You also well know my pathetically slow build rate :roll: I've a few projects I'm more passionate about to get out of the way, so a Beaufighter is realistically a good ten years off. By that time there will be a 1/32 3D printed version possibly. All I will have to do is download it to my "future" 3D printer and hit the print button! :D
Adam the Akrodude

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 pm

I want the 3D printer to print off the semi automatic 22cal pistol....I mean, I want it to print off model kit parts..yeh, that's it.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Graeme H » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:33 pm

A really well done collection there Ray
Graeme
Graeme H

Return to The Air Base