VPAF MiG-21MF

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

VPAF MiG-21MF

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:20 pm

This is the old 1/32 kit from Revell. I think all they did was put some new pieces in their PFM kit to make an MF. Detail is lacking, the cockpit is a mess and inaccurate with the molds and fit are not up to what you'd expect today. Rather than chuck it out I thought I'd just build it as is, for the detail sets would cost more than simply buying the rather nice Trumpeter kit. Mark was nice enough to send me a pilot from the Trumpeter kit and Tony some VPAF markings (thanks guys) and I scrounged some sidewinders from an old Revell F-4E kit to stand in for R3-S missiles as they were pretty much Russian made sidewinder copies anyway.

I was meaning to represent red 5040, the MiG 21 nightfighter that allegedly shot down a B-52 during the 1972 Christmas bombings, but I mucked up the masks for the numbers several times and rage quit them, so I'm calling it done. Unfortunantly its a grey old day in Melbourne for taking pictures, as you can see.

_BlackHawk_

Re: VPAF MiG-21MF

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Looks cool mate. I'd like to do a Mig-21 one day :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Love it.....nothing more atmospheric than a Mig in a sinister dark colour scheme.....makes the bad guy really look like the bad guy :twisted:
Nice job Ace....now isn't that better than throwing out a perfectly good model!!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:20 pm

tor lives wrote:....now isn't that better than throwing out a perfectly good model!!!
TOR

No. It's just lucky I started this before model expo, or it would probably be at your house as I'd have bought the Trumpeter kit at the swap and smell for 35 bucks. As it was, this had sat in my stash since the very last model expo in the cake hall with the glass cases...so what's that, 10+ years.
_BlackHawk_

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:37 pm

_BlackHawk_ wrote: buying the rather nice Trumpeter kit.

OMFG did you actually type that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:18 pm

hrtpaul wrote:
_BlackHawk_ wrote: buying the rather nice Trumpeter kit.

OMFG did you actually type that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep...now excuse me, I have to go scrub myself clean with Ajax.
_BlackHawk_

Return to The Air Base