1/72 Sea Harvard WIF FINISHED :) :) :)

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

1/72 Sea Harvard WIF FINISHED :) :) :)

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi peeps.

Basically in 1943 there were too many accidents whilst training pilots to fly and land Sea Hurricanes. An illustrious and talented exiled Italian aircraft engineer, Paulo Harrisoni came up with an ingenious yet simple solution. He "acquired" a standard Harvard bound for the ROKAF and set to work. He took the arresting gear from one of the many Hurricanes that these bloody pilots had trashed :cry: :cry: :cry: and modified said Harvard. Initial trials were favourable but on the third landing test, the arrestor hook was torn from the aircraft :evil: :x It was found that the 2 pilots helping, we'll call them Damo and Adam (for security reasons) had installed the hook with nails and chewing gum instead of bolts :roll: :roll: :roll: Now you would have thought that these 2 should have had enough smarts to work this out. It was Paulo, however that had made the mistake of letting pilots anywhere near a spanner. He eloquently told Damo and Adam in his best english that their services were no longer required :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: After repairing the aircraft himself, perfectly I might add, the testing resumed and an order for 450 conversions was placed by the Air Ministry 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol:

This is the Academy 1/72 T-6G Texan. I built this in TSV and have been finishing it off here at home. It was supposed to be a ROKAF T-6 like this one Image
Unfortunately the Academy decals sucked big ones and wouldn't stick very well. I didn't really want to spend $15 on aftermarket decals, especially French ones considering the kit only costs $10. So I ratted through my decals and kits and came up with some Airfix decals from a Hurricane that I wasn't gonna use. I did use most of the Academy stencils though. So the ROKAF T-6 became a Sea Harvard Mk4, complete with Sea Hurricane arrestor hook. After sanding off the decals, repainting the wings, and clear coating them, I put the Sea Hurricane decals on. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along. It's a bloody great kit that really only needs seat belts (that I forgot) to finish it off. I used Humbrol, Gunze and Alclad paints on this. Hopefully tomorrow I'll clear it again, the do the walkways and anti glare panel again. Then it's just a matter of fitting the engine, prop and U/C and it'll be done. Anyways onto the pics :)
Last edited by hrtpaul on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: 1/72 Sea Harvard WIF

Postby oz rb fan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:34 pm

so....you have created.....a royal navy snj!!!!!!!!...yup there was a navy texan :D :o 8-) :lol:

and i LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oz rb fan

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Ya know, I heard that story from a source who was very close to the project.....turns out what *really* happened was Adam and Paulo hit the turps one night, and got into a debate about how best to attach said arresting gear. Adam insisted he wouldn't fly the thing until the arresting gear was properly installed and the structural integrity was verified independently. Paulo, on the other hand, was so excited about seeing his idea coming to fruition that he wanted to rush it through and into the trial program. After hours of drinking and arguing, Adam yelled "Screw it!" and stormed off in a huff. Unfortunately, Paulo's tenuous grasp of the English language (not helpd by Adam's slurred speech) led him to misunderstand Adam's meaning. Unable to find any screws, he resorted to nails, and used the chewing gum to seal the gaps. (Tamiya putty having not yet been invented).
So clearly, it was Adam's fault.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:11 pm

While being partly Adam's fault, I see 1 GLARING error with your version. Paulo doesn't drink so he couldn't have had a drunken conversation with Adam and therefore your story just crashed and burnt. Even though Adam is partly at fault, it seems that Damo still had a hand, with Adam in this monumental SNAFU 8-) 8-) 8-)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Paulo *claims* not to drink, but I have it on very good authority that he has been seen to imbibe.
Besides, Damo wasn't even there the night of that fateful decision.....he was busy rearranging his sock drawer.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:Besides, Damo wasn't even there the night of that fateful decision.....he was busy rearranging his sock drawer.

More like his panty and bra drawer ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:57 pm

I cannot confirm or deny any of this actually happened due to the excellent quality of the "Turps" consumed. Anyway, what's so bad about using nails and chewing gum on aeroplanes? Worked alright for the Wrights didn't it?

Turps for burps!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:19 pm

Cool, but it should have been a Nicaraguan Republic aircraft :)
_BlackHawk_

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:03 am

_BlackHawk_ wrote:Cool, but it should have been a Nicaraguan Republic aircraft :)

???? Please explain :)
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:19 pm

The final clear coat is on. I'll repaint the walkways and anti glare panel tomorrow and stick all the other bits and pieces on, then it'll be done. The first of 5 I hope to finish before I go back to TSV in 3 weeks :)
hrtpaul

Next

Return to The Air Base