1/32 RAN Sea Fury

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

1/32 RAN Sea Fury

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:56 pm

This is my 1/32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury done as a blue RAN machine. As you probably know this kit is ok but nowhere near the same league as the Fisher offering. Still it builds into an ok model and in the hands of a talented modeller, a very fine example. The nav lights were made from a clear toothbrush cos the solid kit ones just didn't cut it. This was gonna be entered in expo a few years ago but I had a little drama with it. Apparently Tamiya gloss in a rattlecan will and does eat Humbrol paint and decals alike. I have since learnt my lesson but that can of gloss has never been found after leaving the front of my shed at a huge rate of knots :evil: :evil: :evil: Another set of decals bought and I fixed it up so here it is. BTW I have a 1/48 one to do to complete the set :)

Last edited by hrtpaul on Fri May 02, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: 1/32 RAN Sea Fury

Postby Nillus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Really nice.
Such power in those Furys.
Nillus

Postby Knotty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Really nice Paul , I like the size comparison with the smaller one .
Knotty

Postby tor lives » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:29 am

That is a stunning model Paul...nicely done!!!
Get rid of these bloody military markings and she would make a great Air Racer :D
Ray
Last edited by tor lives on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Here's a 1:1 scale version photographed at Avalon. Man, I love the Sea Fury! Watching both Guido Zuccoli and Nigel Arnot explore the vertical in these wonderful machines will always be some of my most treasured airshow viewing memories. What a incredible piece of engineering is that Bristol Centaurus sleeve valve radial. I once had a Ansett engineer explain to me how these engines work at their engine test facility at Tulla years ago. He had a beautiful operating cut away of a Hercules engine, showing how the sleeve moves up and down within the cylinder doing a 90 deg rotation, exposing the ports at the appropriate time in the engine cycle - so cool!

Note that this Sea Fury has either F-102/F-106 wheels, a common enough mod. Many I've read have Skyraider hydraulic systems fitted as well. In my research for my Sea Fury build, I came across a few photos of the Sea Fury wheel wells - what a rats nest of pluming!

Well done Paul on a great build. Yours sure does look like this 1:1 version!

Adam the Akrodude

Postby oz rb fan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:17 pm

tor lives wrote:That is a stunning model Paul...nicely done!!!
Get rid of these bloody military markings and she would make a great Air Racer :D
Ray

funny you should say that ray.......much later this and her blue sister both raced at reno :shock: .....this became "furious" and the other was Lloyd Hamiltons baby gorilla.
damn too much time reading magazines back in the 70's/80's
oz rb fan

Postby tor lives » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:26 pm

oz rb fan wrote:
tor lives wrote:That is a stunning model Paul...nicely done!!!
Ray

much later this and her blue sister both raced at reno :shock: .....this became "furious" and the other was Lloyd Hamiltons baby gorilla.

As should be the fate of all good military aircraft :D
Ray
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:46 pm

tor lives wrote:As should be the fate of all good military aircraft :D
Ray

As I recall this IS the Air Base Ray. Don't make me have to shoot your ass down for silly comments like that capish :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The best beat up I have ever seen to date was Guido in his Sea Fury up runway 36 in Darwin, dot feet and freakin fast. What a legend :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:14 pm

Guido was one pilot where there just was that seamless interface between man and machine. I remember reading when he had a engine failure in his Sea Fury and as he described, his engine became 18 expensive ash trays when he lost oil pressure and the engine seized shortly after. Wirhin a very short space of time, he was sliding along a paddock having just done a wheels up landing.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby oz rb fan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:32 pm

hrtpaul wrote:
tor lives wrote:As should be the fate of all good military aircraft :D
Ray

As I recall this IS the Air Base Ray. Don't make me have to shoot your ass down for silly comments like that capish :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The best beat up I have ever seen to date was Guido in his Sea Fury up runway 36 in Darwin, dot feet and freakin fast. What a legend :)

now that is man i truly miss.....his aerobatic display in "308" was always stunning....RIP Guido
oz rb fan

Return to The Air Base