RAAF 3 Squadron CAC Sabre A94-980

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:08 pm

Sabre of 3 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, Butterworth, Malaysia at the opening airshow for Paya Lebar, Singapore's new airport Easter weekend April 1961.The 3-sabre' marking was carried by all aircraft between 1958 and 1962.

Academy w/ High Planes Models 1/48 CAC Sabre correction kit and decals.
Aires-4022-1-48-F-86F Sabre cockpit set
Lifecolor and Tamiya paints.

I must admit, that when I started this kit, I had a dread that I was monumentally going to balls it up. Reading the pages of instructions and watching A2's build thread, I thought that with the combination of the low volume conversion kit parts, the metal paint job and the fact that some of the decals had cracks in them that gave the impression that the whole build could be ruined with one irreplaceable decal exploding when it hit the water. It got off to a rough start when I decided you use the resin cockpit set that came in the box. It nearly didn't fir, but I kept permitting until it did. I had no other choice, the modifications had already begun. Seams and gaps are still my weak point and on this thankfully most of the flaws are either hidden or not as noticeable as I thought, still they are there. The decals went on great, although having the white decals to apply first made placement of the Squadron 3's difficult. I followed the decal diagrams lining up the sabre with the access panels shown and hoped that it was right. It wasn't, the angle was wrong, and it shows, but again its not as bad as it could have been and it looks great in the cabinet.

Big thanks to Bruce (PacificMustang) for selling me the kit at such a great price, to Andrew D, for the great build thread to follow when I found myself scratching my head, and everyone here who offered advice and feedback along the way.
DesTROYer

Re: RAAF 3 Squadron CAC Sabre A94-980

Postby tor lives » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Just outstanding Troy!!!
It is indeed a privilege to have such a superb model on our site....thanks for sharing with us.
Regards
TOR
PS: and yes Bruce and Andrew are great blokes :D
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Very nice Sword :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Nice job. It's a shit of a conversion, I'd never build another one unless someone was paying me lol.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:42 am

Tremendous work Troy - very inspirational!
A mates father flew these for a period of his time in the RAAF and once mentioned the three mates of his that lost their lives in a pretty gruesome way trying to ejection from their Sabres. Once again a fitting tribute to a beautiful aeroplane and those who flew and work on them.

BTW, just how challenging was this project? I might have a crack at it sometime. Any details on this build - challenges, etc I'd love to read about!

Well done!

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks guys, it was a fun and challenging build.

Adam, from what I understand, as its a low production run kit, the fit of some of the parts can be a bit different with each build. Andrew Doppel did 4 or 5 and each one presented unique challenges. Take your time and read the instructions carefully (there are few diagams) and you will be right. The main problem is finding the decals.
DesTROYer

Postby Graeme H » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:13 pm

Well as a boy from the Sabre era, I just love it
Graeme
Graeme H

Return to The Air Base