Italeri F-104S Starfighter, Rimimi, Italy 1977

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Italeri F-104S Starfighter, Rimimi, Italy 1977

Postby Ericg » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Well folks, I have sorta been a bit quiet with this one. Thought I would have a break from posting Works in Progress and just concentrate on finishing one for a change of pace.

I was hoping to have this one as my No. 9 entry into QMHE but got back into RC flying a few weeks ago and that has sucked up a bit of my Man Time.

This is the Italeri Starfighter that was released last year. Despite the rather poor reviews that it received from folks that examined it in the box, this kit is actually very nice and really builds quite well. In my opinion, it looks like a Starfighter and is quite accurate. There were a few odd engineering issues with the way the kit goes together and some panel lines that needed some work but in general, a pleasure to build and it is highly recommended. There were several different versions of the Starfighter that Italy operated, requiring careful selection of parts in order to finish the aircraft that you desire. I have finished mine as depicted in a photo that I found on the net, operating at Rimimi, Italy 1977.

I built this almost out of the box apart from: An AIM-7 Sparrow from a Tamiya kit and a Master pitot tube.

I didn't use most of the photo etch that the kit is equipped with apart from a few parts. The model is painted with Gunze Sangyo/Tamiya acrylics in custom mixed colours and the underside is Alclad Semi Matte Aluminium (which worked very well.)

I used the Zotz decal sheet for the scheme along with the nice kit stencil data.

Enjoy!

The real thing

My usual `In its new home' pic.

Ericg

Re: Italeri F-104S Starfighter, Rimimi, Italy 1977

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Ha! Knew you were up to something! What an absolute masterpiece once again! Do tell all about this kit. What's it like to put together? Any major issues as such? I'm thinking of getting the 104A and doing in NMF. I was kind of put off by all the bad press this kit was getting. Your words and word does dispel this bad press a great deal. Ray's just pressured me into buying a 1/32 "Voodoo" (Reno racer) for bucket loads. Only fair enough I think seeing I dropped the "pre-emptive" RB-51 nuke strike on him! A shiny 104 would look great next to my 105 (in a future display cabinet!).

Freakin' amazing!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Ericg » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi Adam.

Knew you would like it and yes, I was up to something!

Yes the kit has recieved alot of bad press but it is seriously alot of fun to build. The only thing that I wouldn't recommend is doing a Natural metal finish as some of the panel lines will need alot of work to make them look perfect under that sort of paint.

I guess the kit is mostly aimed at Italian models, as it appears to suit most of the configurations as presented in the box.

Some new decals that have just been released are these ones, which I reckon would look great in the NASA scheme.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews ... p?rid=1377

Although I think the other version of the Starfighter as released by Italeri will be required.

Eric.
Ericg

Postby tor lives » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:55 pm

I dunno what else to say except....stunning :shock: !!!
The level of realism and craftsmanship is just breath-taking.
Another beauty Eric.
We are now all waiting for you to start your RB-51 "Red Baron" racing Mustang (no pressure :D ).
I think you also need to join the Heritage Models 1:32 RB-51 "Voodoo" owners club. Adam just joined this elite group this arvo. Come on.....you know you want to :D
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Ouch! Expensive day at the office! First the Voodoo purchase :oops: , now the F-104 decals. Extremely tempting to do the aeroplane that Joe Walker lost his life in. This will be another plunge into the depths of hell as I must try using foil on one kit - just have to. The only perfect way of representing NMF is using actual metal, so I just have to try. Now, research time on what in fact is a F-104N - obviously a NASA bird, but what differences exist? Thinking that they do not have the radar and obviously not the Vulcan. Oh, Great Model God in the Sky, spare me this hell from too many 1/32 projects - AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote: Ouch! Expensive day at the office! First the Voodoo purchase :oops: ,

And well done there....you will not regret it Sir!!!.
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Out freakin standing as usual Eric. I love it :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Knotty » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:52 am

Magnificent as usual Eric , :D :D
Knotty

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Just wondering, what colour green you used for inside the burner can Eric? Thanks mate :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby oz rb fan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:54 pm

beautiful work as always Eric....another stunner.
oz rb fan

Next

Return to The Air Base