SPAD A-1J "Sock it to Em"

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

SPAD A-1J "Sock it to Em"

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Here I present for your consideration my 1/48 Tamiya Douglas A-1J "SPAD". The model represents the aeroplane flown by George Marrett during his time at the 602nd (C) Fighter Squadron at "Naked Fanny" in Thailand. His story of this time is covered in his book "Cheating Death", one of the best books on aerial combat over Vietnam and Laos. Marrett has also written other books covering his test piloting time, all brilliant.

His story is a amazing one. As a test pilot at Edwards AFB, George had been tasked with testing why there had been so many accidents in USAF Phantoms, often very close to the base itself. Turned out how the USAF had been loading Phantoms initially was bringing the CofG too far aft, both making it a lousy bomber and very dangerous at low speed, causing these departures from controlled flight. For his efforts, he was then tasked with spreading the work and flown (as a captain at the time) to USAF bases all around USA, Europe and even to the USAF base in Libya at the time in his own Sabreliner. Following this, he got the extraordinary posting to SPAD's. I wonder if senior USAF leadership didn't like the message he was putting out! His story then goes onto his training on SPAD's and posting to Thailand. The role as "Sandy" combat search and rescue would have had to have been one of the most dangerous flying jobs ever. This was certainly reflected in very high fatalities and shoot downs in this role and the high level of bravery awards given to these amazing aviators. I can't recommend George Marrett's book highly enough.
One more interesting story from Marrett's book is the time during his training on SPAD's when he saw a refuelling truck pull up to his aeroplane and a Airman undo the cap to the oil tank and proceed to insert a hose. Marrett then yells at the poor airman telling him not to put fuel in the oil tank. Airman replies - "Sir, this is oil". Marrett had never seen a refuelling truck used to fill up oil on a aeroplane before! The SPAD had a 37 gall oil tank, which it's R-3350 engine spewed out at a max acceptable rate of 6 gall's/hour! SPAD's got so slippery from all this oil, it was common to see both pilot's and maintenance personnel slipping off them - particularly after rain.

The model itself is a doddle to build being Tamiya. I did "bling" it up with the addition of some Eduard etch to the wheel bays and scratch built the "Yankee Extraction System" - a rocket assisted system to remove the pilot from the cockpit (when desired). I scratch built the White Phosphorus bombs as well (the little grey ones) and the 150 Gall drop tank. This model does go down as one of my all time fav builds. If I was ever to be lucky enough to own a warbird, I would dearly love a SPAD!

Adam the Akrodude

Re: SPAD A-1J "Sock it to Em"

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Bloody nice work Adam. I have a USAF and a USN Spad in the stash. They're a huge plane and I'd love to see one in real life :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:27 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Bloody nice work Adam. I have a USAF and a USN Spad in the stash. They're a huge plane and I'd love to see one in real life :)

Isn't there one going to be displayed down at the Vietnam Vet's display at Phillip Island? I drove past over the Christmas hol's and did see a forlorn Tracker and Wessex there outside. I did read something about a SPAD being purchased for display and the possibility of it's R-3350 being fired up on occasion - cool huh!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Very cool indeed. I must get back down there one day to have a squiz :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Bloody hell Adam!!!....that is just friggen awesome!!!. Honestly, I am not worthy of being in the same bloody room as some of you military aviation builders. When I think of "down-low-and-dirty" A-1s....this model is exactly the image that comes to mind.
Ray
Last edited by tor lives on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:33 pm

[quote="tor lives" Honestly, I am not worthy of being in the same bloody room as some of you military aviation builders [/quote]
And don't you forget it :P :P :P :P :P
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:50 pm

hrtpaul wrote:[quote="tor lives" Honestly, I am not worthy of being in the same bloody room as some of you military aviation builders

And don't you forget it :P :P :P :P :P[/quote]

Ohhh I know my place Paul...I am just a humble little site administrator and nothing more. I will never get above my station again....last time I did, it got me banned :D, and I don't wanna get banned from this site :D
Ray
Last edited by tor lives on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:37 pm

PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hrtpaul

Postby oz rb fan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:56 pm

oh now where is the like button!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
oz rb fan

Postby Nillus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:05 pm

What the...?
Looks like you could jump in and fire it up.
Awesome.
Nillus

Next

Return to The Air Base