My "Frightning"

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

My "Frightning"

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:44 pm

One of my all time fav fast jets is the legendary E.E Lightning. This jet was the first to accelerate vertically. From what I've read, it was a delight to fly, but I imagine the workload must have been immense when used in it's role operationally. This is the 1/48 Airfix/Eduard re-release, quite a expensive kit. Had I known, it would have been better to source the standard Airfix release and buy all the resin "bling" (as I did) to jazz it up. I used a Aires exhaust and wheel wells. The wheel wells were very difficult to install, requiring shaving the insides of the wings until they were translucent. Due to this, once I inserted the wheel wells and glued the wings together, they warped - ARGH! It was at this point, my Frightning almost hit the wall at a scale representation of Mach 2!
By gently twisting the wings to the correct shape, there was a crack (luckily along the joins) and both "stress relieved" to the correct profile - PHEW!

Finish was achieved using Tamiya gloss black, then Alclad polished aluminium. This made the model look like a toy, so I had a crack at scratching the finish and "tarnished" it by semi-dry brushing Metaliser paint. I also replicated fuel and oil leaks using artist oils. This is a 74 "Tiger" Sqdn bird, the first squadron to operate and do aerobatic formation displays with the Lightning - what a sight that must have been!

Also check out this super cool vid on the Lightning - now where's the nearest "Way back machine" to take me back to 1961?
It's supersonic, super-normal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3xVAxBM4RI
Adam the Akrodude

Re: My "Frightning"

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:07 pm

That's amazing job on the Lightning mate. It looks brilliant :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby oz rb fan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:04 am

one of your best Adam!!!!!
oz rb fan

Postby Capt NG » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Sensational Adam...
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Postby Nillus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:22 am

Love the Lightning.
Such power and brute force.
Awesome modelling in a metal scheme.
Nillus

Return to The Air Base