John Jackson's 75 Sqdn Kitty - kinda!

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

John Jackson's 75 Sqdn Kitty - kinda!

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 am

Here is my 1/48 Hasegawa P-40E Kittyhawk built to represent Sqn Ldr John Jackson's Kittyhawk. This is a classic example though of research coming to light after the model was built - argh! The photos I found for Jackson's aeroplane are in fact for a later "H" coded Kittyhawk in the two tone Khaki and Earth. I've since found out that it's most likely the aeroplane Jackson perished in combat over Port Moresby on 28th April, 1942 was painted in a overall khaki as supplied from that initial USAAF batch acquired by the RAAF. There simply wasn't time to give these Kitty's a more elaborate camo, the situation was so desperate.
John Jackson is the very definition of hero in my books. A wealthy businessman and grazier, Jackson could easily have settled for a instructor job during the war, certainly given his age as another factor. In his words though, he had a lot to fight for and fight he did. One of my most treasured books is titled "A lot to fight for", which is a collection of his letters home and entries in his personal diary - all put together by his daughter and son after the passing of their mother. It's written in the language of the time - in his own words and very moving. If anyone is interested in reading this book, please let me know and I will pass on the contact details for Patricia and Arthur Jackson.
One day, I 'will re-do Jackson's P-40E, in a appropriate colour scheme in honour of this tower of a man. His story I do believe should be taught in schools as a example of the supreme sacrifice he made for all of our collective freedom.

Adam the Akrodude

Re: John Jackson's 75 Sqdn Kitty - kinda!

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Great work yet again mate :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks Paul

One day I will amend it's code to reflect a Milner Bay Kitty. I must properly build Jackson' P-40E one day too - probably in 1/32. Issue is that now I have a staggering number of exciting civvy aeroplanes to build now. My heart was at least in the right place. Did you know that Jackson owned a Klemm and then a Beech Staggerwing pre-war. The Staggerwing was faster than the RAAF's then most advanced "fighter", the Wirraway of course. Imagine that in this day and age - say owning a Su-27!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Nillus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Port Moresby airport (PNG) is named after this hero.
"Jackson Field"
Nillus

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:54 am

Yes, it's such a great tribute to such a tower of a man - one who had to battle the Japanese single handily with his squadron over PNG for those famous 44 days very aggressively from the front foot, throw in malaria & dysentery in the squadron, his prior shoot down and ditching offshore and long walk back to the squadron being chased by Japanese patrols, almost being shot down when getting a ride back to the squadron - it's the stuff of legend. He also had to battle his own command in regard to tactics, which he only knew too well when mixing with the more nimble Japanese fighters.
His memory and spirit very much lives on with 75 Squadron as well. Patricia and Arthur Jackson have been involved with official celebrations with 75 Sqdn over the years including the 70th Anniversary back in 2012.

Here's the Hornet painted with his name for the 70th.

Link to "A lot to fight for", the diary and letters home of John Jackson as compiled by his children is here:

http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/jackson2.htm

I highly recommend this as essential reading for anyone interested in this period of history and in Jackson as well.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote:Here's the Hornet painted with his name for the 70th.

Not being a huge fan of Hornets and their boring as bat shit grey, I'd like to do this one if someone ever did the decals for it Plus I'm a huge fan of 75SQN being my home SQN when I was a kid in Darwin :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Nillus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:19 pm

His legacy lives on in Qantas as well...Captain Barry Jackson was the previous president of the Australian International Pilots Association, and is a current A380 captain.
John Jackson was his great uncle.
Nillus

Return to The Air Base