Tamiya 1/48 A6M2-N "Rufe"

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Tamiya 1/48 A6M2-N "Rufe"

Postby kfutter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Howdy folks,

As promised elsewhere in the forums, here's my newly-finished Tamiya Rufe. This kit first came in 1973! My boxing is from around '89 if I remember correctly. This model started out as part of series of 1/48 builds to practice my cockpit painting and detailing on - an area where I have felt I've been a bit weak. I feel I've improved to my own satisfaction in that area now, so during the course of the build the main goal shifted to practicing my weathering - another area I'm not particularly strong in. Inspired by Matt McDougall's experiments with 'black basing', I decided to go for that grungy, patchy look. I've usually found it hard to achieve anything more than a badly painted look, but something clicked with this one, and it's turned out almost exactly as I saw it in my mind's eye. So on that score alone I'm very pleased with it.

These WW2 Japanese aircraft certainly make great subjects to practice weathering on! If anything, I was probably aiming for something a little more extreme than I ended up with, as I feel I need to overcome a certain amount of timidity when it comes to weathering. Maybe next time!

Kev
kfutter

Re: Tamiya 1/48 A6M2-N "Rufe"

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Looks great to me mate. I reckon you've done a cracker job on the weathering. I hope I can do half as good a job on a few Japanese planes I have :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Graeme H » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:58 pm

Really very nice, I like your Japanese stuff, lucky you didn't do the pink scheme though :roll:
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby kfutter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:01 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Looks great to me mate. I reckon you've done a cracker job on the weathering. I hope I can do half as good a job on a few Japanese planes I have :)

Thanks Paul. This was a bit of a breakthrough model for me as far as weathering is concerned. Got plenty more Japanese subjects in the stash to practice on too!

Kev
kfutter

Postby kfutter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:02 pm

Graeme H wrote:Really very nice, I like your Japanese stuff, lucky you didn't do the pink scheme though :roll:

Thanks Graeme. I'm gonna have to start doing some funky schemes though, as all this green on grey with red circles gets a bit dull after a while.

Kev
kfutter

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:51 pm

very nice job on it...the old tamiya kit i gather?..........you could also do the basic grey...
this was my second attempt at weathering
oz rb fan

Postby kfutter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Yep, Tamiya kit. I'd love to have a bash on the much newer Hasegawa kit. I'm also planning a 1/32 conversion too, using the Doyusha A6M2 and a Horizon vac conversion set I have (there are better options for both these days though). Nice job on yours by the way! When Tamiya released this kit, and for a long time afterwards, it was assumed that the overall light grey colour was as you depicted. As it turns out, it's actually much more like the underside colour I've used on mine. I painted mine using the new IJN set from AK Interactive, and these were based on research by Nick Millman. Decent paints, a bit like Vallejo Model Air.

Kev
kfutter

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:27 pm

Aint the zero just a classic looking plane? It looks so good..great models guys
VH-WAL

Postby kfutter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:14 am

VH-WAL wrote:Aint the zero just a classic looking plane? It looks so good..great models guys

Thank your sir!

Kev
kfutter

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:15 am

Practicing on is all Japanese planes are good for Kev :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Next

Return to The Air Base