A/CAM Model Expo Club Display 2021

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Re: A/CAM Model Expo Club Display 2021

Postby BradG » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:56 pm

It might be huge, but on the other hand if half the hobby shops go tango uniform and there's 4 million people out of work, it could very well be a smaller Model Expo. Let's just hope the "shut down" cure to all this isn't the equivalent of curing the patient by shooting him dead.....
BradG

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:24 pm

BradG wrote:It might be huge, but on the other hand if half the hobby shops go tango uniform and there's 4 million people out of work, it could very well be a smaller Model Expo. Let's just hope the "shut down" cure to all this isn't the equivalent of curing the patient by shooting him dead.....

Eric Galliers alone will have a table - maybe his very own category! :D Eric has mentioned on FB that he'll have so many models, he may consider driving down! That's worth a visit to Expo alone in my books!

We're not at shutdown by a long shot. Even NZ isn't in true shutdown as phone networks, power, food and chemists, fuel and of course hospitals, etc still running - the very basics to keep them going. I don't believe Australia can go that far. If it gets real bad by June, then who knows what the next level will be - we can't do full shut down for long without destroying the economy completely. Our government is taking the middle road - trying to hang onto some basic functions, keep as many people working whilst stopping max social interaction. This is a real balancing act - keep as many alive without crashing the economy and hospitals. My wife is a critical care nurse, so I'm hearing stuff. We're hugely lucky here lagging behind Asia, Europe and USA, so we're better prepared. Spanish and Italian health care system has always been bad - we're so lucky here. Will all this be enough - dunno, time will tell. What I'd like to see post COVID-19 is more respect for health care workers in general - it's been lacking for a long time. Nurses are seen as just emptying bed pans and making beds - WRONG! They're the soldiers in all this keeping people alive. Critical care/intensive care nurses are highly trained and constantly have to keep their skills up to date - much like aircrew. And for all this, look what they're paid! Factory workers get the same if not more than my wife who has 30+ years nursing experience! My wife had to consul a couple of highly experienced nurses the other day that also work in the public system (front front line stuff). These nurses are shitting themselves for what's coming. 20% of COVID-19 cases in Dublin as a example are healthcare workers - and there simply isn't enough of them. You can build thousands of respirators, but who is going to be there to operate them and care for patients? This is just like the BoB - you can build heaps of fighters, but they're no good if you do not have fighter pilots to fly them.

Stay safe in your bunker - build lots of models mate!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby BradG » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm

Economy is already screwed, Coles got 35,000 applicants to stacks shelves, already 1 million people out of work, hell half my cricket club lost their jobs in the last week. We missed the boat on the shut down,should have been done 3 weeks ago. Mark Latham was right in his article, now we get to screw the economy and put half the population of of work while not stopping the virus at all. A few weeks ago people might have weathered a shut down of 14 days, do that now and everyone goes under.
BradG

Postby BradG » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Anyways, here I built this.

BradG

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:19 pm

BradG wrote:Economy is already screwed, Coles got 35,000 applicants to stacks shelves, already 1 million people out of work, hell half my cricket club lost their jobs in the last week. We missed the boat on the shut down,should have been done 3 weeks ago. Mark Latham was right in his article, now we get to screw the economy and put half the population of of work while not stopping the virus at all. A few weeks ago people might have weathered a shut down of 14 days, do that now and everyone goes under.

Just to let you know, a 14 day shutdown does nothing - full shutdown means just that and for months - not two weeks. I'd pay absolutely no attention to Mark Latham, but that's just me. A total shutdown will hurt/cripple/destroy way more than any good it will do as the virus is here now to stay anyway and it ain't going away any time soon. Some people overseas aren't respecting what total shutdown and social distancing/isolation requirements overseas, so why should they here? NZ isn't even totally shutdown as I said. I suggest we're supremely lucky in that as we lag Asia, Europe and USA, our key decision makers have a advantage as they can see what's working and what is not overseas and adjust their decisions to suite. This is a day by day thing. Our health care system is one of the best in the world too - Spain's and Italy's a disaster in comparison - and ours could well be overwhelmed in coming weeks regardless. Me, I'm thinking about the health care workers in all this. Your cricket club mates will survive at home on the couch - they're not front line as are doctors and nurses in all this.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Awesome Pak-40 diorama too!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Wedgetail » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:44 pm

That came up a treat Brad, great simple diorama which you have managed to show other modellers
what one can do with what is probably a God knows how old Tamiya kit if I'm guessing correctly.
Wayne.
Wedgetail

Previous

Return to Model Talk