Micromesh?

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Micromesh?

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Can anyone advise a good local source for Micromesh?
Adam the Akrodude

Re: Micromesh?

Postby B_finch » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 pm

where are you Adam?

I know the http://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/micro-mesh/?page=2 has it, and they are pretty good with posting as well.

Use them as a supplier for work all the time.

Cheers
Brendon
B_finch

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Brendon

I'm in Melbourne. I'm attempting (and will no doubt fail) to become a "expert" in gloss finishes in the next few weeks (as the airliner modelling community now fall to the floor in fits of laughter!) after many years thinking that a Luftwaffe mottle scheme was the hardest thing to perfect! Yes, I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to perfecting a decent gloss finish.

I've gloss finished 3 models in the past. I just want to get a bit more finesse with my finish and heard Micromesh is a great tool. Thanks for your link.

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm with Brendon. That's the guy I got my pads off of. I actually cut all my pads into 4 so they go a long way. You may recall the pink Mustang I did. I noticed just before last weekends Wings and Tracks show that there was a fingerprint on the top cowl. I used my micromesh foam pads with water on it using finer and finer grades. Admittedly the paint was a lacquer so does polish up much better. If I was to do that plane again, I'd use the same paint, then micromesh and finally some quality car polish. HTH :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Here ya go Adam. These work out cheaper cos you can cut them up :) http://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/soft- ... h-kit.html
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm

Awesome!

Cheers chaps!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby F-27pax » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:13 pm

Well! I knew there was a reason for joining this group and it's turned up very quickly. I got some micro mesh from the US a while back and had been thinking it was time to get some more. Now I know where to go. Thanks.

Indeed, mastering white and metallic finishes are the real challenges in modelling. I didn't start making airliners in any number until I discovered Tamiya rattle cans, TS-26 Pure White in particular. I'm still not completely happy with my metallic finishes, but the Tamiya rattle can metallic finishes and Alclad II both look pretty good. I relation to Tamiya Pure White, it is not the cheapest of paints so I bought myself a two litre can of automotive white lacquer which I use as a base coat and then put a coat or two of Pure White over the top. It turns out that the base white polished up with micro mesh looks pretty good too and the two liter can is likely to last ne for years while a 747 uses up the best part of one rattle can.
F-27pax

Postby Capt NG » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:11 am

F-27 pax, I've had pretty good success over the years with Tamiya pure white rattle cans for my airliners. I heat can up in boiling water prior to applying. Usually put about 5-7 coats on followed by a thin clear coat and voila.

Once I tried Games Workshop Citadel skull white I think it was then clear coat over the top, I wasn't happy with it. Others have had limited success with it I think.

I like your idea of the auto lacquer however.. I may try that..
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:21 am

Tamiya rattle can it's going to be for my RB-51. Fingers crossed it will be OK.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby F-27pax » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:58 pm

With the automotive white I've put three coats on my current project (an Ansett-ANA Carvair) and polished it up with Micro-mesh and it looked so good that I debated whether or not I needed to apply any Tamiya Pure White at all. The finish was not quite so glossy as Pure White but I recall looking at a lineup of QF 737s one time at Melbourne Airport and the level of sheen was a little different on each one - depending on how long since they were painted, I guess. Anyhow, the point of using the automotive paint is basically an economy measure and I'm wondering if it might not be worthwhile to think about aiming for a touch of variety in the whites we use.
F-27pax

Next

Return to Model Talk