Tamiya rattle cans

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Tamiya rattle cans

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:42 am

Hi my name is Adam and I'm a real newbie when it comes to gloss finishes!

I've been working and almost completed a little Zlin-50M in 1/48 and used Tamiya rattle can silver and gloss for the first time and love the stuff! It's so good, I feel like I'm cheating using it!

Now, the all important question is, what is the Tamiya gloss white and gloss red like - can anyone advise? I had a flick through a recent Fine Scale Modeller in the newsagent and there was a article on a 737 build and the modeller used Tamiya rattle cans and polished between coats. I think he also put the cans in warm water as well to boost/help regulate the pressure.

Can you airliner builders who have used Tamiya rattle cans help advise me on their experience with this painting technique.

Cheers

Adam the civie newbie!
Adam the Akrodude

Re: Tamiya rattle cans

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:57 am

I'm certainly no expert but watch the Tamiya gloss on different paints cos it WILL eat paint and decals alike. Ask my 1/32 Sea Fury how I know this :evil: :evil: :evil: It should be ok over other Tamiya rattle cans but after my experience, I don't use it anymore. But that's just me. I have heard that the white in the rattle can is good for airliners. I tried it once and it came up ok though it could have been shinier with a coat of gloss over the top I guess. Also I always put my cans in some warm water before using them as it seems to spray better. For the white you could also try the Tamiya white primer as Antoney Wilkinson did on his white Caribou with a gloss coat over the top. I'm doing this on a civvie F-104 I'm doing at the moment. Hopefully it works :? Hope that helps mate :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:45 pm

hrtpaul wrote:I'm certainly no expert but watch the Tamiya gloss on different paints cos it WILL eat paint and decals alike. Ask my 1/32 Sea Fury how I know this :evil: :evil: :evil: It should be ok over other Tamiya rattle cans but after my experience, I don't use it anymore. But that's just me. I have heard that the white in the rattle can is good for airliners. I tried it once and it came up ok though it could have been shinier with a coat of gloss over the top I guess. Also I always put my cans in some warm water before using them as it seems to spray better. For the white you could also try the Tamiya white primer as Antoney Wilkinson did on his white Caribou with a gloss coat over the top. I'm doing this on a civvie F-104 I'm doing at the moment. Hopefully it works :? Hope that helps mate :)

Cheers Paul

I also noted with great interest Eric Galliers effort with his Supermarine S.4 racer. He used Tamiya white primer and polished it - that man is genius! I would not be mixing paint brands - did that once with a bad outcome. You would think that using a same brand should be OK - you'd think (touch wood).

BTW - can't wait to see your civie 104! I bought the Red Baron 104 to build - how cool will they look next to each other either at Expo in competition or on Ray's table one day!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:48 pm

hrtpaul wrote:This is the one I'm doing Adam http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/defaul ... k=MEC_NI2t

Oh my!
In 1/48?
When will it be finished?
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:55 pm

In 1/72 from Italeri. It's OOB and might be finished or very close to by the time I head back to TSV in 2 weeks :)
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:01 pm

hrtpaul wrote:In 1/72 from Italeri. It's OOB and might be finished or very close to by the time I head back to TSV in 2 weeks :)

Are you tempted to get the 1/32 kit? I've been thinking about the Italeri 1/32 kit. I think someone else is also bring out a 1/32 104 as well. Happy days!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:10 pm

Nah mate. Too big and I've already got too many big kits with nowhere to put them at this stage. I do have a 1/48 Hasegawa F-104C in the stash to do 1 day though :)
hrtpaul

Return to Model Talk