Wings Scale Aircraft Model Competition and Exhibition

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Re: Wings Scale Aircraft Model Competition and Exhibition

Postby Nillus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Damn.

Combine that with the sound of 6 x .50 cal. guns and I think the 4 minute mile would be broken running for cover during a fighter sweep.
Nillus

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:Well, the inference I'm drawing is that any Australian aicraft from any period, civil or military, is eligible for Best Australian aircraft, whereas to win Best Enemy aircraft you must enter a military aircraft from some very specific timeframes. Personally, I would have made the category along the lines of Best Other Country, thus not limiting the field so much, 'cos after all, not everyone builds military models..but hey, what do I know..

See, there you go. There is no restriction on best enemy aircraft being a military aircraft and as for very specific time frames, hardly. WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, Bay of Pigs, Falklands, Cuban Missile Crisis hell the whole Cold War. If anyone wanted to go after Best Enemy Aircraft and couldn't find something to build within those times, they aren't trying hard enough.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Nillus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Anyone doing an F-35?
Not very good & quite expensive, so I'm told.

Might do very well in a comp, though.
Nillus

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:34 pm

_BlackHawk_ wrote:
Cap'n Wannabe wrote:Well, the inference I'm drawing is that any Australian aicraft from any period, civil or military, is eligible for Best Australian aircraft, whereas to win Best Enemy aircraft you must enter a military aircraft from some very specific timeframes. Personally, I would have made the category along the lines of Best Other Country, thus not limiting the field so much, 'cos after all, not everyone builds military models..but hey, what do I know..

See, there you go. There is no restriction on best enemy aircraft being a military aircraft and as for very specific time frames, hardly. WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, Bay of Pigs, Falklands, Cuban Missile Crisis hell the whole Cold War. If anyone wanted to go after Best Enemy Aircraft and couldn't find something to build within those times, they aren't trying hard enough.

OK, so give me some examples of civvy aircraft that would qualify for Best Enemy..
And, what about the periods in between those you've mentioned?
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:12 pm

The most obvious are Junkers products from; Gibbes Sepik Airwarys, Eurasia Aircraft Corporation, anything Lufthansa from the Nazi Germany years. For something a little more modern, Air Koryo. What about an Aeroflot aircraft from the cold war period? How about Iterflug? The museums Viscount was one that flew with Cubana de Aviacion and reportedly flew Fidel Castro several times, you could build that. We haven't even counted the civvie aircraft in military guise either because an airliner in military markings doesn't make it any less of an airliner (quote from Knotty).

As I said, I apply a pretty broad brush to things and let modellers will find their own way because model shows are meant to be a bit of fun and in this case, a little bit of a fund raiser to help the Beaufort restoration project. Hell, if someone did a Gibbes Sepik Airways Junkers 52 I'd even consider it for Best Australian Aircraft. As Ray likes to say; see how much of a diverse and interesting thing airliners and civil aircraft are.

With the periods in between those I mentioned, *shrug*. Can't be everything to everyone, but I'm sure I've missed a few conflicts along the way so it's not limited to what I mentioned, those are just the most obvious to me.
_BlackHawk_

Postby davecana » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Does it have to be an enemy of Australia? Could a Middle East country plane be entered as they would be at some stage an enemy of another Middle East country? I'm thinking along the lines of Iran/Iraq, Israel/Egypt during Yom Kippur war etc.
davecana

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:48 pm

Australia and/or our allies Dave.

Keep in mind Best Enemy Aircraft is just one trophy too in the whole show. I'm hopeful of a little support from the distributors too, so we might be able to offer something for a couple of 'Best of Brands', whichever brands they might be.
_BlackHawk_

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:38 pm

Saturday August 16th, the Museum is having a meeting about the show. Interested model clubs are invited to send along a representative or two. About 11am and they'll fire up the barbie I'm sure.
_BlackHawk_

Previous

Return to Model Talk