F-27s Models for March

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

F-27s Models for March

Postby F-27pax » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:58 am

Let’s begin this month with a couple more Airbus A.320s. Both these are the Revell 1/144 kit of this airliner, they don’t need much work to get them looking good except removal of the surplus flap tracks. Some of the Revell kits - but not all - come with the IAE and CMF engines so that is always a point to look out for when making models from these kits.

First an Ansett Australia A.320 with the ‘Flag tail’ livery. Unlike most A.320s which had white fuselages and grey wings, the Ansett A.320s (and probably all their other airliners at this time) were painted white all over, which makes the task of painting them a little simpler. The decals for this model come from Hawkeye.

The New Zealand decal maker Oldmodels makes decals for all the liveries that Air New Zealand has flown it’s a.320s in. This set portrays ZK-OJH in the Star Alliance livery. All Star Alliance members have one or two of their aircraft painted in this standard livery with the name of the participating airline in smaller font lower towards the nose.

Compass II flew for only a few months in Australia in the early 1990s after the failure of the first Compass Airlines. The new airline’s fate was the same. But while it was flying it used a small fleet of McDonnell Douglas MD-83s which are advanced versions of the old Douglas DC-9 that served on Australian airways for many years. The kit for this model is the Minicraft 1/144 kit and the decals are from Hawkeye.

If you, like me, has been watching Big Jet TV on You Tube you will have seen quite a few of the new Airbus A.220s coming and going. The red Swiss markings on the white fuselage looks particularly attractive I think, so when Eastern Express released a 1/144 kit of this aeroplane I was unable to resist its attractions. It turned out be a fairly decent kit too and easy enough to make with the decals for both Swiss and Delta airliners in the box.

FSC Dujin have been rereleasing some of the little jems that Jean-Pierre Dujin originally released a couple of decades back. They are not the easiest of kits to make and they are resin, which puts some people off, but they are of subjects that no other kit manufacturer makes and for that reason I love them. The new versions come with decal sheets, some etch parts and much more comprehensive instructions than the earlier versions. This little model is a Mudry CAP 231EX aerobatic aeroplane in 1/72 scale.

Even rarer than the FSC Dujin kit is this 1/72 Farman 370 which was supplied to me by the French modeller Adrien Roy. It is fully resin and a little challenging to make, but well worth the effort if you are, like me, interested in French racing aeroplanes from the interwar period. The colour if Tamiya’s rattle can French Blue.

Here’s one I made earlier.

This is the Special Models 1/72 Bell XP-77 which I made in 1989. This was probably the first Special Hobbies kit I made and an early experience in the short-run injection moulded kits that started to emerge from Eastern Europe. It was a shock to the system I can tell you.

F-27pax

Re: F-27s Models for March

Postby Graeme H » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 am

Another great output, you are putting some of us, well me specifically, to shame
love those French racers, rare kits at any time, you have done a wonderful job on them.
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Wedgetail » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:32 pm

G'day Graeme,
You're not the only one being put to shame by the Prof and his output from his modelling desk.
They all looked even better on the model tables on club night, especially the magnificent little French racers.
Wayne.
Wedgetail

Postby F-27pax » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:12 am

Gosh guys, I'm going to have to get a bigger hat.
F-27pax

Return to Model Talk