F-27's models for July 2021

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

F-27's models for July 2021

Postby F-27pax » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:42 am

This month begins with a couple more Zvezda 1/144 Airbus A.320s that are a little unusual. Air New Zealand have painted their A.320s in a number of schemes over the years and this all-black one is one of the more common schemes. The decals come from the Russian company Ascensio but there are not enough white cabin window outline decals so yoy will need to buy two decal sets if you want to make this model. I think it was worth the additional expense.

This all orange Jetstar A320 scheme has been applied to only one aeroplane as far as I can tell. The orange paint comes from SMS and the decals from Nazca. The white decals are a little translucent and applying a second set over the first to get a better white density but I’ve always had trouble doing that kind of thing so I decided to leave sleeping cats lying, so to speak.

Azmodel offer a whole lot of interesting and intriguing short run injection moulded kits and this is one of them, Unfortunately there are some significant ‘fit issues’, so significant that most modern day modellers would probably declare this kit definitely unbuildable. For us oldtimers who cut their teeth on 1960s Frog, Airfix anf Revell kits, however, there is nothing too difficult in making this kit buildable. It is not a show stopper but I think it looks very pretty.

Out of the Time Vault

When I made this Revell 1/72 Morane N in 1975 the kit was already ten years old. It is fairly primitive by the standards of those days but really, apart from a decent cockpit, there’s not much that could be done to make this a more detailed kit. The only decals in the kit were for this Imperial Russian air force and the kit is so old that the white center of the roundels are now as yellow as the fabric colour of the rest of the model. There are more modern kits of the Morane N and one of these days I might get around to making one.

This Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Fury I was released in 1972 and I made it in 1976. The silver is the old fashioned Humbrol 11 which is a lot better then the new version, but probably also more injurious to one’s health. This kit has the serial number PK-1 so it was probably the first kit that Marchbox released and came, as was one of the kit’s selling points, in two different colours of plastic. Revell re-released this kit in about 2010. I see that AZmodel have also released a kit of the Fury but if it is anything like their Hawker Demon kit it might be easier to buy and upgrade the Revell version because I ended up tossing my AZmodel Demon kit in the bin and getting the old Airfix kit with some upgrade parts instead.

Another Matchbox model I made in 1976 was this Hawker Tempest V. The kit came with optional parts to make either the Mark II or the Mark V and some years later I acquired another of these kits to make the radial engined Tempest II. Frog, Heller and Academy have all offered kits of the Tempest V (with reboxings by other brands) and they may well be an improvement on the Matchbox kit, but this was the first kit of this aeroplane to be released.

F-27pax

Re: F-27's models for July 2021

Postby Ansett A330 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:12 pm

Fantastic work yet again. I always look forward to your monthly updates.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:33 pm

F-27pax wrote:This Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Fury I was released in 1972 and I made it in 1976. The silver is the old fashioned Humbrol 11 which is a lot better then the new version, but probably also more injurious to one’s health. This kit has the serial number PK-1 so it was probably the first kit that Marchbox released and came, as was one of the kit’s selling points, in two different colours of plastic. Revell re-released this kit in about 2010. I see that AZmodel have also released a kit of the Fury but if it is anything like their Hawker Demon kit it might be easier to buy and upgrade the Revell version because I ended up tossing my AZmodel Demon kit in the bin and getting the old Airfix kit with some upgrade parts instead.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Those dates have been the topic of discussion on BM for the Matchbox 50th Anniversary Group Build.

Yes the PK-1 Fury was the first of the Matchbox Injection moulded kit subjects. They were announced in 1972 and obviously manufacturing started then (as evidenced by the “1972” date on the first lot of subjects) however they weren’t shown to the Public until the Brighton Show in 1973 and weren’t generally available until about April or May 1973. Hence the 50th Anniversary GB will start in 2022 and continue into 2023 to cover all of these dates.

I think someone said the Revell rerelease scrubbed out the date inscription but I haven’t seen one to verify this.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:57 pm

F-27pax wrote:Another Matchbox model I made in 1976 was this Hawker Tempest V. The kit came with optional parts to make either the Mark II or the Mark V and some years later I acquired another of these kits to make the radial engined Tempest II. Frog, Heller and Academy have all offered kits of the Tempest V (with reboxings by other brands) and they may well be an improvement on the Matchbox kit, but this was the first kit of this aeroplane to be released.

One of my favourite kits and I actually built my first two before 1976 so boy do I feel old!

I think you’ll find though that the kit offered the Mark VI and II. The VI had a later mark of Sabre and asymmetric wing radiators.

In the 80’s I converted the Matchbox kit into a Sea Fury. Lots of work but real fun in those days to get an accurate Sea Fury. As I had to go to Brisbane for Uni the next year and couldn’t take any kits with me Graeme actually painted and decaled it as “115” for me and I still have it albeit yet to put the Undercarriage on it!

With regards to the Academy kit I always maintained that it’s forward lines were closer to a VI than a V and always toyed with the idea of making a VI out of it as strangely enough (and sadly) Revell never rereleased the Matchbox kit.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:19 pm

Photo from a couple of years ago last time I dug it out :

Ansett A330

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:57 am

Nice work man. Pity about the white Jetstar decals though
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby erussell » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:29 am

Very nice work. They are all interesting but the A.320 is a standout for looks! Indeed the extra decals were worth it but they should supply them for free.
Ed Russell @ Red Roo Models
erussell

Postby F-27pax » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:40 pm

Thanks for the comments on the Tempest. You are probably right about which mark it is what I knew about Tempests when I made that could have been written on a small pin head.
A question. Why Ansett 330. Ansett didn't fly any A330s did they? I hope not, I'm about to make some A330s and I don't have any decals for one.
F-27pax

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:42 pm

F-27pax wrote:Thanks for the comments on the Tempest. You are probably right about which mark it is what I knew about Tempests when I made that could have been written on a small pin head.

Yes the Typhoon / Tempest / Fury /Sea Fury lineage can certainly become addictive. I must admit I was drawn to them by the Design/Engineering side of things as well as all of the variations in Marks, Modifications, and Engines etc. Always something new to discover and it does help when there are some real Experts such as Chris Thomas etc and great Reference Books out there.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:52 pm

F-27pax wrote:A question. Why Ansett 330. Ansett didn't fly any A330s did they? I hope not, I'm about to make some A330s and I don't have any decals for one.

No they didn’t but they should have as that was one of the Business Cases (of only having two aircraft types A320 and A330 and one Aircrew stream) put forward (by Rod Eddington IIRC) and it may have saved them if it wasn’t for the dumb Kiwi Management saying “No”.

Nothing stopping you though from doing a “Whiff”. Would be really good. I’m pretty sure Ansett 767 decals could be adapted or even other Ansett (1:100 or 1:125?) decals resized.
Ansett A330

Next

Return to Model Talk