DC-3/C-47s of Airfix and Italeri

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

DC-3/C-47s of Airfix and Italeri

Postby Tony P » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:36 am

Hi all,
Does anyone have an Airfix DC-3/C-47 in 1/72 in their stash? If so, do you mind measuring how large the passenger windows are and what the spacing is between them please? I have the Italeri kit and the decals that I have don't seem to fit over the kit windows. The kit windows are too wide so you would see the edges underneath the decal. The spacing is correct between windows. I'm wondering if the decals I have (TAA Roodecal) are designed to fit the Airfix kit?

Thanks all

Tony
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Re: DC-3/C-47s of Airfix and Italeri

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:54 am

They are the same tooling (if the Airfix job you refer to is the second iteration and not the newly released one - just last week). The other 1/72 DC-3 was the Esci version so the decals may have been made to fit that.
VH-WAL

Postby RayS » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:13 pm

..and now Italeri have released both their tooling and the ex Esci tooling recently. The new crop of Hawkeye decals for the original Italeri C-47/DC-3 tooling do not fit the ex Esci kit as the fuselage shapes and window shaping are different on both kits.

Be warned!

The Dakota MkIII boxing is the ex Esci moulds
Ray

RayS

Postby Tony P » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks Ray & Wally,

The new Airfix kit was what prompted me to get the Italeri out of the stash. So does anyone have an old Esci they can measure up? I'll be interested in what the new-tooling airfix is like. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Cheers
Tony
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:33 pm

I dont have the ESCI but I have built one and printed decals for it I can send you a copy of the decal sheet and you can get the window measurements from that

actual size print
Last edited by VH-WAL on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VH-WAL

Postby Tony P » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi Wally,

Thank you. I appreciate the offer. I'll PM you my details.

I'll let everyone know my results.

Thanks
Tony
Tony P

Postby Tony P » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Results are in. I asked on Britmod and got the following info thanks to Admiral Puff:

New Airfix: 6 horizontal x 4 vertical, 6.5 apart

Esci (now rereleased by Italeri as a Dakota III): 6 x 4, 8 apart

Italeri (rereleased at one time or another by Revell, Airfix, Uncle Tom Cobley and all): 6.5 x 4, 7 apart.

Going by the info above, my kit is the Italeri kit in the Italeri boxing. The decals are have measure 5.5x4 with a 8.5mm apart from each window. So looks like the decals are for the Esci kit. Damn, have to find an Esci now.

Wally your decals measured out at 6x4, 8 apart. Thanks for you help.

Cheers all

Tony
Tony P

Return to Model Talk