C-47 VH-AES wartime career?

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

C-47 VH-AES wartime career?

Postby Tony P » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi all,

Anyone got any pictures of AES in wartime get up or a history of where it served? I'm assuming Northern Australia or New Guinea. Was known as 'Shanghai Lil'.
If no pictures, what was a possible scheme it wore?
Thanks
Tony
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Re: C-47 VH-AES wartime career?

Postby Knotty » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:36 am

G,day Tony , I have the Hawdon book ,and it shows it in olive drab with the blue and white American star on the fuse . It was used mainly as a mail plane between ADL & DRW , with a couple of trips to the US . The photo is in B&W and it's the only one in the book !! Hope this helps ;)
Knotty

Postby Tony P » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:05 am

G'day Knotty,

Yeah that helps heaps mate. Thank you. Doesn't sound like it had a hard life in service. No wonder she is still banging around today. Although haven't seen it for a while.

Cheers
Tony
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby Knotty » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 am

I can bring the book to expo if you like Tony ,so you can have a look ..........not much in it ,but it might be useful .

AES is still getting around ......only last week It came into land at MEL . It's normally down at the Qantas hanger .
Knotty

Return to Model Talk