Hurricane down in the Czech Republic...

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Hurricane down in the Czech Republic...

Postby BradG » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:57 pm

Low and slow kills another pilot and destroys yet another warbird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsKgBWj42do
BradG

Re: Hurricane down in the Czech Republic...

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:48 pm

Might be a good idea to wait till the real EXPERTS have conducted an investigation into the tragedy and released the ACTUAL findings before using your google/facebook/twitter sourced qualifications to pass judgement yeah :roll: :roll: :roll:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby BradG » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:36 pm

Last time I looked, people are still allowed opinions. One need not be an expert to see that was too low and too slow.
BradG

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:05 pm

Uh huh. Sure mate. I think I'll wait for what the real experts have to say, after all in matters like this, that is the only opinion that actually counts for anything :roll: :roll: :roll:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby BradG » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:50 pm

Ok....good for you.
BradG

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:25 pm

BradG wrote:Low and slow kills another pilot and destroys yet another warbird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsKgBWj42do

By no means a expert, but I do know what I see and things to look for - that Hurri was indeed slow over the top no doubt about it. The last beat up was noticeably slower than the initial beat up as well, so he was slower over the top of that wing over than perhaps he would have liked. I suggest he pulled a little too hard to get around the corner for correct line up with the runway and dynamically stalled one wing causing the roll. There could have been a element of torque rolling with the prop (Merlin is clockwise when viewing from the cockpit I understand) at that low speed too making matters even worse. Anyone who has dynamically stalled a aeroplane gets this. Against the prop the flick is small, with the prop and the flick is much larger.

In my humble amateur opinion this is too low a airspeed with a hick up at too low a height to recover. Another 20+ kts on the clock and 200 ft over the top and this crash would not have happened. Why the pilot was slow in the pull up is anyone's guess - not enough fast lever forward (boost), who knows. Easy to critique post tragedy, but there it is. My condolences pour out to the pilot's family and friends.
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Model Talk