Group Builds/Challenge Build: so far, a huge disappointment

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Group Builds/Challenge Build: so far, a huge disappointment

Postby tor lives » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:04 pm

Hi guys,
Well it would seem that, once again, the A/CAM Group Builds/Challenge Build are dead-in-the-water, through a complete lack if interest on the part of the A/CAM membership. I don't get it....you guys asked for theses site features to be returned, and when they are, nothing happens.
I am really at a loss to know what to do now, to keep you guys engaged and interested.
The costs of keeping this site running are increasing, while the apparent level of interest in this site decreases in direct proportion.....that is not an equitable business model.
A/CAM can't go on much longer like this guys.
I know we all have very busy lives with lots happening, but I can't help but feel that A/CAM has outlived its usefulness.
TOR
tor lives

Re: Group Builds/Challenge Build: so far, a huge disappointm

Postby oz rb fan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:09 pm

i for one would be sorry to see it go...while not posting much these days(modeling has taken a bit of a back seat to fish tanks at the moment) i tend to visit every day.
but i do understand your reasons for it.
oz rb fan

Postby tor lives » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:38 pm

oz rb fan wrote:i for one would be sorry to see it go...while not posting much these days(modeling has taken a bit of a back seat to fish tanks at the moment) i tend to visit every day.
but i do understand your reasons for it.

I don't want to kill it off bud.....especially given that we are one of very few local model sites left.
But if it appears that the site if of no use to anyone, I don't see much point it keeping it going.
TOR
tor lives

Postby BradG » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:19 pm

I did mention to you that kit availability was an issue at the start. Combined with the fact that single type builds always struggle for numbers, even on Britmodeller where there are thousands of members, you get sometimes only 20 to 30 participants for a STGB.

Themes work better. Also consider price and kit availability. I've found that basing builds on themes is the best. You might go for Revell kits, or aircraft with a predominant colour, country/continent based, job based, number of engines etc.
BradG

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:46 pm

Dude seriously. There is plenty of interest in the site as I say EVERY SINGLE TIME this issue comes up every couple of months :o :o :o Unfortunately life gets in the way and that's how it is. I've punched out of aviation altogether recently and have started a new career and modelling hasn't been a priority. I was actually able to afford to take my better half out to lunch today for the first time in almost 3 years. Like I said life happens. Also my modelling mojo isn't there at the moment and fishing has taken it's place, but the mojo it will return I assure you. What does the site cost to run per month? Plenty of people have put their hand up to help run the site financially which has been refused, so therefore, that surely indicates that people love the forum and want to see it continue. Regarding the group builds, that's the nature of the beast. As I said my mojo ain't there but I still wanna get my 737s done. Stop being a Debby Downer, harden the f&%k up and build a freakin model man. It's all well and good to say that no one is doing much model wise, but when was the last time we saw something from you old boy? Not having a crack man but it works both ways. I don't need to tell ya how much I love being here and I normally get on here at least once a day. Even if there's nothing new posted, I still go back and read old threads which in turn sparks interest and is also a valuable resource. The peeps here have posted a shit ton of very good info, tips, tricks etc that can't be replaced. Our little corner of the internet is a pretty cool place to hang so STFU about shuttin it down ya hear me boy. I won't be havin it. You know I'm right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS I will try to continue on with my Jetranger build as well as trying to find all the 737 bits I put somewhere safe I promise ;)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:53 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Dude seriously. There is plenty of interest in the site as I say EVERY SINGLE TIME this issue comes up every couple of months :o :o :o Unfortunately life gets in the way and that's how it is. I've punched out of aviation altogether recently and have started a new career and modelling hasn't been a priority. I was actually able to afford to take my better half out to lunch today for the first time in almost 3 years. Like I said life happens. Also my modelling mojo isn't there at the moment and fishing has taken it's place, but the mojo it will return I assure you. What does the site cost to run per month? Plenty of people have put their hand up to help run the site financially which has been refused, so therefore, that surely indicates that people love the forum and want to see it continue. Regarding the group builds, that's the nature of the beast. As I said my mojo ain't there but I still wanna get my 737s done. Stop being a Debby Downer, harden the f&%k up and build a freakin model man. It's all well and good to say that no one is doing much model wise, but when was the last time we saw something from you old boy? Not having a crack man but it works both ways. I don't need to tell ya how much I love being here and I normally get on here at least once a day. Even if there's nothing new posted, I still go back and read old threads which in turn sparks interest and is also a valuable resource. The peeps here have posted a shit ton of very good info, tips, tricks etc that can't be replaced. Our little corner of the internet is a pretty cool place to hang so STFU about shuttin it down ya hear me boy. I won't be havin it. You know I'm right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS I will try to continue on with my Jetranger build as well as trying to find all the 737 bits I put somewhere safe I promise ;)

Duly noted Paul.
You have given me a lot to think about.....thank you.
TOR
PS: I really and genuinely do appreciate the offers of financial assistance to run the site, but it's my responsibility.
tor lives

Postby tor lives » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:58 pm

BradG wrote:I did mention to you that kit availability was an issue at the start. Combined with the fact that single type builds always struggle for numbers, even on Britmodeller where there are thousands of members, you get sometimes only 20 to 30 participants for a STGB.

Themes work better. Also consider price and kit availability. I've found that basing builds on themes is the best. You might go for Revell kits, or aircraft with a predominant colour, country/continent based, job based, number of engines etc.

You make some good points Brad, and I have considered them carefully.
Themes are good concept, but not really appropriate for this site.
We are a very specific niche site, and the Group Builds etc. need to reflect that.
I do appreciate and value your input.
TOR
tor lives

Postby BradG » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:20 pm

tor lives wrote:
BradG wrote:I did mention to you that kit availability was an issue at the start. Combined with the fact that single type builds always struggle for numbers, even on Britmodeller where there are thousands of members, you get sometimes only 20 to 30 participants for a STGB.

We are a very specific niche site, and the Group Builds etc. need to reflect that.
TOR

Theme's fit, you're already doing one for Rescue Aircraft in next years Model Expo. You could even tie the group build to the expo theme.
BradG

Postby tor lives » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:11 am

BradG wrote:
tor lives wrote:

TOR

Theme's fit, you're already doing one for Rescue Aircraft in next years Model Expo. You could even tie the group build to the expo theme.

We may look at that moving forward but, for now, we will let the current Group Build and Challenge Build run their course.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:07 pm

Mate, I was actually making decent progress on one of my 720's. Unfortunately, an eviction notice from the landlord and being unable to find a new house has put paid to that. *Every* model kit I own is currently in storage as I move into my little brother's old bedroom, with only just enough room for a bed and my computer. Like Paul says, life gets in the way, big time.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Next

Return to Model Talk