Model Expo A/CAM Display theme idea 2015

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Model Expo A/CAM Display theme idea 2015

Postby tor lives » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi guys,
Well.....Model Expo 2014 is not yet over but I wanna give everyone as much notice as possible to start preparing for the Model Expo 2015 A/CAM Display .
As from our next display I think we now need to become more specific and targeted in our theme. To that end the theme I am proposing for next year's A/CAM display is "Airliners / Civil Aircraft: TV and Movie Stars". When you think about it there is a heap of diverse and exciting potential here. I happen to know that Raptor has already bought his Bell 47 to do the chopper from "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo".
So.......what do you all think???
Ray
PS: Thanks to NAM for allowing us to "borrow" a variation of the theme they are using for their Model Expo club display this year.
tor lives

Re: Model Expo A/CAM Display theme idea 2015

Postby Knotty » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Sounds good to me Ray ;) I'm thinking an A-26 Invader from the movie Always . Already have the fire eater decals !!!
Knotty

Postby Tony P » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:22 pm

A theme is a good idea. I know the UK sig does this at their major show. Graeme knows more about this than me as he has been a few times and is a member.
I like the sound of movie/TV stars. A good first theme. Would Air America be classed as civil? Since Roden released the Provider I've always wanted to do a diorama with a Porter. Getting a porter in 1/72 cheap is not easy.

Do we need to tell you what we are planning so as not to double up?

Tony
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby tor lives » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Knotty wrote:Sounds good to me Ray ;) I'm thinking an A-26 Invader from the movie Always . Already have the fire eater decals !!!

Cool Knotty!!!. I am thinking of doing the "Trans Global" Boeing 707 from "Airport" the original movie. Thanks to you for arranging these decals for me.
Ray
tor lives

Postby tor lives » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:32 pm

TOAM wrote:A theme is a good idea. I know the UK sig does this at their major show. Graeme knows more about this than me as he has been a few times and is a member.
I like the sound of movie/TV stars. A good first theme. Would Air America be classed as civil? Since Roden released the Provider I've always wanted to do a diorama with a Porter. Getting a porter in 1/72 cheap is not easy.

Do we need to tell you what we are planning so as not to double up?

Tony

G'day Tony,
Absolutely the aeroplanes form "Air America" would qualify for inclusion in our display, (I love that movie :D ).
You can get a 1:72 Porter from our valued sponsor High Planes, if you need one.
Yeah....it might be a good idea to share amongst the group who is doing what so we can keep a running tally, and we can then get a better feel for how many will be contributing and consequently how much display space I will need to arrange.
Ray
tor lives

Postby Tony P » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Ok, I'll get in early and put down a 1/48 Porter from Air America.
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby Knotty » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:07 pm

TOAM wrote:Ok, I'll get in early and put down a 1/48 Porter from Air America.

Billy Wong had the Roden 1/72 Fairchild C-123 Provider for $70 on Friday ........ramping up to $85 on Monday .......what the !!!! Would of been good for Air America . The lesson for expo is ,get your kit off Billy Wong on Friday or if you can't get there until Monday ......bad luck , it will now cost you $15 more . :roll: :roll: I think I will get mine off the net ;) ;)
Knotty

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:38 pm

Apart from those already mentioned, movies with civil aircraft in them I can think of are;

Die Hard 2
Independence Day
Flying High
Air Force One
The Great Waldo Pepper
The Kings Speech
Ice Pilots (TV show)
Passenger 57
Snakes on a Plane
Drop Zone
Executive Decision
Alive
Catch Me If You Can
Con Air
The Aviator
Red Eye
World War Z
All 3 original Indiana Jones Movies
The Langoliers
Flight of the Phoenix
Tora Tora Tora
Lord of War
Flight
Superman Returns
The Grey
Final Destination
True Lies
Airwolf (TV show)
Blue Thunder

I might do Eric Stollers scorpion attack helicopter (Hughes 500MD Defender) from Fire Birds. Primarily because I can still build a civil aircraft (he flew as a mercenary for a drug cartel) while still hanging a 2.75" rocket pod and SUU-12/A gun pod on it.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Graeme H » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:58 am

Knotty wrote:Sounds good to me Ray ;) I'm thinking an A-26 Invader from the movie Always . Already have the fire eater decals !!!

Being temporarily located in Brisbane for a few months, I took a drive out to Archerfield one Sunday, and stunned to see there is one of the Yellow Black ones there, couldn't get close enough to get a photo though.

Yes Tony is right the UK Airliner SIG does a different theme each year, they have had some really good ones, the Heathrow of the '60/70's was a stunner
different themes were manufacturers, eg Boeing, Douglas, European (covered Russian as well), props only etc
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Capt NG » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:20 am

As a slight variation to the theme here, I've wanted to build a few airliners that have been involved in some of the most remarkable examples of flight crew skill and professionalism, my number 1 subject is:

N1819U... United DC-10-10 which operated UAL 232 and crashed at Siuox City Iowa following centre engine fan disk failure.

They made a movie on this accident... Albeit not a good representation of it.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Next

Return to Model Talk