Are afrermarket decal sheets dying out?

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Are afrermarket decal sheets dying out?

Postby BradG » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 pm

An interesting question I ponder as I was just trying to find some aftermarket F-18A decals, yet hobby shops around no longer stock any decal sheets or they are all out of stock? Is the aftermarket industry dying by the decal sheets first? Or are hobby shops just no longer willing to stock them? I do remember the old days when you could go into the VHC and look through several books of decals, but that is no longer at Metro.
BradG

Re: Are afrermarket decal sheets dying out?

Postby tor lives » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:00 pm

Its a good question Brad.
I think it may depend on area of interest.
It the Airliner space, it really is a golden age for all things "after-market", including decals. The diverse after-market range and and subject matter that is currently available to us airliner builders could not have been imagined even five years ago.
TOR
tor lives

Postby BradG » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:28 pm

But is it available here? I'm betting that most of it is imported by the modeller, not local shops.
BradG

Postby RayS » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:42 am

You are correct Brad, not many import decal sheets now. There are a few local online traders like Aeroworks in Adelaide and Star Models on the NSW South coast who bring stuff in from overseas. The bricks-and-mortar shops, not so much now.
Ray

RayS

Postby BradG » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:06 pm

I remember there was a time when people had contests about how much resin and aftermarket parts they could fit into a single model.
BradG

Return to Model Talk