Buying aftermarket vs building a model that is inaccurate

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Buying aftermarket vs building a model that is inaccurate

Postby BradG » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:36 pm

Something I am now pondering over. The model I want to build requires a different propeller to that in the kit. Having a look around, the only option I can find is one out of Canada, which is going to cost around $50 dollars (the part, plus post). Looking around, I can buy a complete kit here, strip out the prop I need for less than the aftermarket part....then I'm left with a kit that has no prop and I'm back to square one.

How has the hobby got to the point where It is cheaper to buy a whole kit and throw out the parts I don't need for the 1 or two parts I do, than it is to buy an aftermarket part? Makes no sense.
BradG

Re: Buying aftermarket vs building a model that is inaccurat

Postby oz rb fan » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:49 am

would it be worth casting the prop from the second kit so you can then complete both kits?
oz rb fan

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:45 pm

What kinda prop are ya chasin? Surely someone has a spare layin round or am I the only one that hoards excess parts? Regarding you question, it's not just this hobby but life in general. You don't have to look too far to find plenty of examples of our throw away society :shock: :shock: :shock:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby BradG » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:09 am

oz rb fan wrote:would it be worth casting the prop from the second kit so you can then complete both kits?

Then I need casting equipment and material. LOL
BradG

Postby BradG » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:13 am

hrtpaul wrote:What kinda prop are ya chasin? Surely someone has a spare layin round or am I the only one that hoards excess parts? Regarding you question, it's not just this hobby but life in general. You don't have to look too far to find plenty of examples of our throw away society :shock: :shock: :shock:

I require an aeroproducts prop and I just realised today that the Meng P-51D kits include both. There's the swap and sell coming up next week so I guess I am on the lookout for one.
BradG

Postby BradG » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:59 pm

Problem solved; I just bought another Meng Mustang kit, Modelnerds had one about half retail. While I'm throwing money around willy nilly fixing things what's another 50 bucks?
BradG

Return to Model Talk