Model Expo -Melbourne 2023

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Model Expo -Melbourne 2023

Postby RayS » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:57 am

Here is a link to the images I have taken so far. There were only 3 entries in the Airliners category when I left yesterday (entries had pretty much closed) and around 8 in the civil aircraft category. There were also a smattering of civil subject in the club displays, I think I got most of them.
Ray

RayS

Re: Model Expo -Melbourne 2023

Postby BradG » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:55 pm

Was a good show, Non Military Aircraft had ACAMers 2nd and 3rd, namely HRT and myself. I went a little nuts at the swap and sell too. On the retail side of things, it was slower than last year. We were 20% down on sales, but it was still enough to make things a good show. One negative was the parking situation; no one was allowed to park under the cover on the Saturday for some inexplicable reason, security were nuts about it. I did complain to show director, who mentioned he did complain to the events coordinator at the grounds as they were informed that parking under the cover was fine.

Aside from that, things seemed to go smoothly.
BradG

Postby erussell » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:49 pm

ME 2023 went reasonably well without many glitches. Some of them were due to Sandown staff who seem to have little continuity. Someone at Sandown assumed cars and pedestrians would be moving in and out in a continuous stream and banned parking as above. Once it was pointed out that the cars were stationary all day, the problem was solved.
There were not all that many non-military aircraft but it takes a run of low scores before a category is merged or cancelled. I will try and put one in next year - I hope you do too!
Ed Russell @ Red Roo Models
erussell

Postby RayS » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:41 am

erussell wrote:ME 2023 went reasonably well without many glitches. Some of them were due to Sandown staff who seem to have little continuity. Someone at Sandown assumed cars and pedestrians would be moving in and out in a continuous stream and banned parking as above. Once it was pointed out that the cars were stationary all day, the problem was solved.
There were not all that many non-military aircraft but it takes a run of low scores before a category is merged or cancelled. I will try and put one in next year - I hope you do too!

I thought it went well Ed and the club displays were awesome. I'll be trying to enter both civil categories next year and hopefully, the ACAM display table gets up with the aid of our new overlord!
Ray

RayS

Postby BradG » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:28 pm

A few people had to show the guards on the front gate the model expo website too as they weren't going to let anyone in until 10am, had to show the opening times of the show. They do have some serious communication problems between their bookings staff and security.
BradG

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:31 pm

RayS wrote:
erussell wrote:ME 2023 went reasonably well without many glitches. Some of them were due to Sandown staff who seem to have little continuity. Someone at Sandown assumed cars and pedestrians would be moving in and out in a continuous stream and banned parking as above. Once it was pointed out that the cars were stationary all day, the problem was solved.

I thought it went well Ed and the club displays were awesome. I'll be trying to enter both civil categories next year and hopefully, the ACAM display table gets up with the aid of our new overlord!

I am indeed hopeful that the A/CAM display will go ahead for next year. There are still a couple of niggly little issues regarding my new position as Supreme Overlord (like should the membership refer to me as Lord and Master, how many times a day you all need to pray to me and what direction should you all face? I'm thinking around 249° +/- 5°) that need to be worked out, and I need to get in touch with the Expo committee, and basically figure out all the details of what I need to do for Expo next year.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:00 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:There are still a couple of niggly little issues regarding my new position as Supreme Overlord (like should the membership refer to me as Lord and Master, how many times a day you all need to pray to me and what direction should you all face? I'm thinking around 249° +/- 5°) that need to be worked out.

Sounds like you're gonna be HUGELY disappointed but you know exactly what I'm gonna call you and it ain't any of your examples :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby erussell » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:54 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote: need to get in touch with the Expo committee, and basically figure out all the details of what I need to do for Expo next year.

You can ask me whatever questions you have. PM me your email. There is not a great deal of interaction with the Committee required to do a display. At some time in 2024 a call will go out asking which clubs/associations/etcs want to put on a display. You nominate it and do it. There will probably be changes in the way it operates before Expo 2024 but it's basically simple.
Ed Russell @ Red Roo Models
erussell

Postby tor lives » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:23 pm

Damo, Ill help you out as best as I can with any advice etc.
The Model Expo committee are a very easy group to work with, and always have been.....they have always done the right thing by A/CAM and its members.
Given that you are the new owner, you may want to take the A/CAM displays in a different direction as far as themes etc. are concerned.
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:59 am

Even with a couple of models that were in the wrong category, I thought it was a reasonable showing. I'll have to pull ones finger out and build some more civvie models for next year as I don't want to enter the same models every year just to pad the category out if ya know what I mean :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Next

Return to Model Talk